There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Good people, poor corporate management

Current Employee - Territory Development Representative in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Territory Development Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice and willing to help. Competitive but not divisive. Given time to learn. World class training. Lots of opportunity to move up or around. Freedom in schedule.

Cons

Poor overall management of strategy and marketing. National marketing does not help for regional sales. Competition between Business Solutions Division and Retail. Strategy rolled out before ready, leading to much confusion.

Advice to Management

Simplify directives for each position. Have marketing/strategy fully ready before roll-out. Stop wasting money on small things, keep spending in line. Have a way to better reward those doing well.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. Not too great. Broken promises.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Metairie, LA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Theoretical opportunities for advancement (though see below). Depending on who makes the schedule, you usually have flexible work schedules, great co-workers.

Cons

Compensation was severely lacking. Management didn't really seem to have a clear direction or focus and was largely ineffective. Broken promises of a promotion that never materialized. Many employees working "Tech Depot" aren't properly trained. I often had to help fix a customer's broken laptop even though that wasn't my department due to tech employees not knowing how to fix the problem.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, and train your managers better.

2. Dwindling opportunities

Current Employee - CSS- II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - CSS- II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The hours are flexible, the people are nice and mostly competent, the company has a strong sense of values and promotes honesty and an open-door policy in most arenas.

Cons

The benefits are horrible and have been cut drastically since I started working here. Commission is based on a group effort and full-time jobs outside of management are non-existent, and even the best cannot sell enough for the whole store in 28 hours a week. My personal sales have been among the top in the company during months in which I received no commission because my store did not make its goal.

Advice to Management

Either the commission structure, the base pay, or the hours would need to go up in order for the compensation to be considered remotely competitive. Virtually all of the competitors offer full-time positions with a higher base pay for technology associates.