Dwindling opportunities

Current Employee - CSS- II in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - CSS- II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The hours are flexible, the people are nice and mostly competent, the company has a strong sense of values and promotes honesty and an open-door policy in most arenas.

Cons

The benefits are horrible and have been cut drastically since I started working here. Commission is based on a group effort and full-time jobs outside of management are non-existent, and even the best cannot sell enough for the whole store in 28 hours a week. My personal sales have been among the top in the company during months in which I received no commission because my store did not make its goal.

Advice to Management

Either the commission structure, the base pay, or the hours would need to go up in order for the compensation to be considered remotely competitive. Virtually all of the competitors offer full-time positions with a higher base pay for technology associates.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

1. Office Depot

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible work times. this company works well around school with not a lot of notices

Cons

hours are not stable work goes from 40 hour weeks to as little as 4 hour weeks

2. Swim with the Sharks....if you can!

Former Employee - Corporate Merchandising in Delray Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Corporate Merchandising in Delray Beach, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the time, the office supply superstore was a novel approach to retail Committed Merchants Outstanding Store Operators Marketing as opposed to Sales Promotion or just Advertising Continual Career Opportunities and Growth to anyone demonstrating initiative and passion for business

Cons

Once the company went public, Wall Street expectations drove decisions and business review Churn of Executive Management damaged the culture, which became "How many people can you annihilate before lunch?" Inteliigence Systems failed to keep pace with store growth Expansion into Contract arena (Business Services) was not well concieved or managed.

Advice to Management

Listen to customers -- internal and externat Respect Diversity