Office Depot

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

rewarding

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fast paced customer interaction is fun

Cons

micro managed by upper management

get back to taking care of business

1572 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

Unrealistic expectations can lead to burn out

Former Employee - CSS-II
    Former Employee - CSS-II

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-you will become well known among the local small business owners (networking opportunities abundant)

-ability to help everyday people find solutions to their various needs is rewarding

-flexible part time schedule for college students needing additional funds

Cons

- managment was obsessed with having employees sell Performance Protection Plans (PPP) regardless of how many times a customer said no. This led to several uncomfortable situations with frequent shoppers who made it clear the answer "would forever be NO".

-Sales goals can cause unhealthy competitiveness among otherwise decent coworkers.

-If you consult a customer on a product, provide all the requested information (relevant and irrelevant) a customer asks for, and close the sale with a plan attached, the cashiers would sometimes ring up the customer and enter their employee code for the sale of your plan while you are tasked with retrieving their product from the secure areas. In understaffed stores, the electonics section can form a "waiting line" so it is impossible to follow-up to make sure you are getting credit for all of your sales.

Please be careful of being excessive and micromanaging. In addition, customers who find the product(s) they are looking for and then given the full "incentive-related" information are far more inclined to purchase the incentives at purchase than one who who feels like they are being forced into buying protection plan before they have competitively shopped the products displayed. Our store at the time was a newer location. It was not even two months before most of the original workers had left for better opportunities, quit due to various workplace issues, or were fired for not performing.

Good and bad

Current Employee - CSS III
    Current Employee - CSS III

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management goes above and beyond for associates
    Flexible schedule
    Nice customers

Cons

New In Store Customer Service program limits what we can and can't do. Meanwhile my store looks a mess because we never have time to do anything before Depot Time.

Let us do more during Depot Time or shorten the hours.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot