Office Depot

www.officedepot.com
  www.officedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Overall one of the best jobs I've had

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Elizabethtown, KY
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job is extremely easy, the employees and managers were all extremely laid back, pretty fun on most days, flexible schedule, closes early on major holidays. The store never got many customers either, so most of the time there was nothing to do, but I personally see that as a pro since I personally didn't mind getting paid to stand around.

Cons

The only bad thing was that they started this new program, where you basically have to harass every customer that walks through the door and then announce over the radio to your fellow co-workers why that customer was shopping there and what they were looking for. That got pretty annoying quick, especially since it caused us to have more angry customers than before. Also people called in a lot because they knew management wouldn't do anything about it, that was the only downside to management trying to be everyone's friend, sometimes you just have to be the boss.

1512 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

Used to be a good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It used to be a laid back place where you could be your own person, not a robot, and take care of the customer. There really can't be any one thing to be said in a positive light for this company any longer. While it was laid back and fun to work at before, it really has only ever been a stop gap job. There are little to no raises, most cashiers get between 5-10 cent raises every year and they are capped at 10 cents. Managers getting up to 28 cents raises max. Once you hit a certain pay rate, though, you get no more raises until you are promoted to a new position (again there is a cutoff). The benefits are worthless! The only thing worth while is their stock matching and 401k, but that only matters if you plan on being there long term. Commission, while nice when its around, doesn't mean anything if no one is willing to buy services from you, and you get treated like an outcast if you can't get people to buy our services.

Cons

Ever since this new ISCE program started, employee morale has gone down drastically. It limits us to our vocabulary by only being able to ask specific questions that are open ended. Which would be ok if it produced the same results with every customer (with this program they expect you to achieve 100% or you get coached on it). When it doesn't produce those results you are berated over the radios in front of customers and fellow employee's. The managers (sales leaders) then say things like "you should take example of employee X, they did a very good job with the last sale!" Meanwhile an hour ago they were saying the same thing about me, only promoting my actions while berating someone else! That's just the tip of the ice berg! Like many have already said, we RARELY make commission anymore because our goals are set so far out, they are to a level that is unreachable. So much so that corporate CLEARLY knows this! They think, why waste money on their hard working employees? When they can pocket all the profit so they have a cushion when they are close to going under?

We literally stalk the customers to a point where it is degrading and embarrassing. People turn around and give me dirty looks or say to me "why are you describing what I look like?" (not even knowing I have a radio or ear piece because we are supposed to hide it under our shirts). I tell this to management but they shrug it off saying those few customers are of no concern, because they get nothing but positive surveys in for our store. There are constant contradictions going on with the whole ARC 3 process too (1. Ask 3 questions 2. Recommend 3 products of good better best 3.Cross sell 3 items and Close) where one minute we are being told to listen to the customer and, for example, if they seem to not have an interest in something like a protection plan we are to BACK OFF! Then the very next minute we are being reprimanded because we are not getting any plans because we are not making an effort to sell it to them! So pretty much any time we are doing what we are told, we are told we are doing it to much, then when we back off, we are not doing enough! There is just no happy middle with this company and it is going to put the place under, if not just our store, office depot as a whole!

There is no moving up in the company either, unless upper management personally likes you. There are several people in management (at multiple stores locally) that have no clue how to manage their department. So it has nothing to do with how loyal or how well you do your job, its who you know personally. There is a lot of harassment going on as well, and no one at corporate cares to do anything about it! They complain about you while you are at home sick because you called off. They complain about you because you don't know how to do your job even though you have never been properly trained. They just complain, and its depressing, they think no one can hear them or no one talks about the things being said about fellow employees from the managers mouth. They even call customers a-holes and jerks because they did not give them a chance to sell our services, and these customers are still in the store! Sometimes just an isle or two over, while they are saying these things!

We used to have 25 employees, not including the store manager, assistant and two department managers. Now we have 5 cashiers, 2 copy center people, 2 floor associates that only work sat/sun, and 2 floor associates with limited availability and 2 associates that only work 1 day a week for a few hours. Of course the four managers, as well. So many people have left because of this program and we are not hiring anyone! People keep leaving, and I know 5 of those people who are actively looking for a new job/getting ready to quit! Soon there will not be enough employees to operate the store!

Get rid of the ISCE program and put in place a completely re-hauled one. Like I said, open ended questions are a good thing, 100% customer focus is a good thing. However, you need to hire more people without cutting everyone else's hours. Better medical, better benefits, more realistic commission goals! And for gods sake, quit stalking customers! It is not working! It is impossible to hear and remember every customer that comes in the door and know exactly what they want/what they got and when they are finished. So many times have I had customers say and look like they were headed to the register and then before they made it up there did a u-turn and kept on shopping.

We need to advertise more! No one knows we fix computers! Simply telling customers we do when they call us is not only extending the time they have to wait to ask us a simple question, it is also not going to grow our break fix services because customers are calling for a reason, and it is not to listen to a sales pitch! I have customers hang up all the time on me before I get to finish our "thank you for calling office depot where we now fix computers, how may I take care of your business?". It needs to be advertised, on TV and in the paper!

MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL, READ FIRST EVEN!!! We need dedicated Professional PC Technicians that are not floor associates! They need a MUCH BIGGER tech bench and a workplace preferably in a lockup or receiving area to do all the work. Simply pulling someone with knowledge of selling electronics from the floor does not make them Professional PC Technician! You need certification for that! So it is false advertising to say we have Professional PC Technicians! We can get sued for that!

Used to be an excellent company to work for...

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For a retail sales associate position, my pay was adequate. Under the company's current policies, though it is very rare that sales associates become eligible to earn commission, when we do, it is a nice bonus.

Cons

Office Depot's new customer service program known as "ISCE" is nothing more than a dog and pony show for upper level managers to listen to in the store parking lot. (ISCE requires unnecessary radio communication, and hinders the associate's ability to focus on the customer.) While ISCE brought about some good ideas, the execution was very poor...

The company's problem resolution process is also completely broken. If you have an issue with your manager, there is nothing in place to prevent them from retaliating against you if you dare report their illegal behavior. I personally witnessed a pregnant employee get harassed each day she came to work, when she reported the behavior, they terminated her before the management could be punished.

I've worked for the same store for 4 years, and I have never seen a single internal promotion. Management frequently gets shuffled around making it difficult to develop steady working relationships.

Lets stop playing games with the radios, and lets get back to doing what we used to de best: Taking Care of Business. Also, promote from within!

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot