There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Overall one of the best jobs I've had

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Elizabethtown, KY
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is extremely easy, the employees and managers were all extremely laid back, pretty fun on most days, flexible schedule, closes early on major holidays. The store never got many customers either, so most of the time there was nothing to do, but I personally see that as a pro since I personally didn't mind getting paid to stand around.

Cons

The only bad thing was that they started this new program, where you basically have to harass every customer that walks through the door and then announce over the radio to your fellow co-workers why that customer was shopping there and what they were looking for. That got pretty annoying quick, especially since it caused us to have more angry customers than before. Also people called in a lot because they knew management wouldn't do anything about it, that was the only downside to management trying to be everyone's friend, sometimes you just have to be the boss.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great place to work, watch out for employee reduction(s)

Former Employee - Supervisor in Ormond Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Ormond Beach, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Never boring, many departments to crosstrain into, fast paced and interesting.

Cons

Nationwide layoff of over 4000 managers, six weeks prior to Christmas in 2004 to meet stockholder income predictions for that year. Then the company sponsors Nascar in early 2005. Priorities?

Advice to Management

Way too many incoming trucks of new inventory per week to handle properly under labor guidelines.

Easy job, horrible company

Current Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok for part time people.
    It is an easy job, if you can force yourself to not care about your work environment or upper management treating you like garbage.

Cons

This company is horrible to work for. With the roll out of their new program, ISCE (In-Store Customer Experience), the company on a store level has gone drastically down hill. You are forced to audibly track every customer in the store, at all times. If you don't do this, you will get written up. Assistant and Store managers are required to sit in the parking lot and listen to the radio chatter to ensure the employees are constantly talking. Also, they track how many people come into the store compared to how many purchases there are. You must also maintain an average transaction dollar amount. These things are what determine your evaluation at the end of the year also. So if customers come in and don't buy stuff because the prices, that you don't determine, are too high. Well, no raise for you.

Also, if you have any problems with higher up people, good luck getting a problem solved, they either black list you or fire you (I have worked with a few highers that will try to work with you, but very few).

If you are in management, you better sign up for an unlimited texting plan. I receive at least 10 texts each day - even on my off days, telling me how the store is doing, what we, as managers, are doing wrong, things that need to be corrected. About 1 out 10 of these messages will be positive.

Also, if you have any extra activities or family plans outside of your work schedule, they hassle you. They expect you (managers) to be available 24/7/365.

The attitude of people on the store level is what makes the job the hardest. Everyone is forced to perform on an unrealistic level constantly. We have part time people at my store working 40 plus hours, management working 12 hour shifts and no end in sight. It definitely takes a toll on you. The store managers think if they reward the store with a free lunch or meal every so often, everything is hunky dory.

Advice to Management

Modify the ISCE program - it has some good points, but overall, it is causing the stores to fail. Stores are falling apart and so are employees.
    Don't be afraid to listen to those who are actually in the field; feedback from us is realistic, not based on charts and graphs.