There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Co-workers and managers are swell to work with, but company expectations are sometimes unrealistic (2/15/12).

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Store Management was flexible with working with my school and second job schedule.
-Store Management showed a consistency of looking for profit while providing the best they could offer for customers.
-Co-workers are friendly, some work harder than others while others do not, but overall most co-workers are kind hearted.
-Earning commission is possible if certain requirements are met.
-Relatively excellent Medical and Vision coverage for part-time status workers in the state of Hawaii.

Cons

-Company goals at times seem ambitious for business, but might do more harm than good.
-Company sometimes makes policy of customer service that makes it hard to work with good customers while rewarding irate customers who may not deserve to be compensated.
-Company has either a really bad marketing team or just devious marketing schemes that borderline if not blatantly lie in regards to quality of tech services and products.
-The workers on the front-lines of providing customer service that are more than excellent are not compensated enough.
-Commission policy is strict and does not provide enough incentive for workers to sell products for commission.

Advice to Management

-Improve employee incentives and compensation to hold onto hard working and talented employees. Otherwise they will (very likely) find a better job offer.
-Better usage of tech terms and phrases when marketing tech products and services.
-Better promotions and deals for tech products and services, so that knowledgeable tech salesmen would not feel like they are selling overpriced or unusable items.
-When recreating in-store positions and places that have existed in another way in another name, don't punish experienced employees for reusing old OD Speak terms. Being that they know these old terms show how they are dedicated and willing to stay in their poorly paid position as well as their pride in knowing "historical" terms.
-Changing in-store pods, department names and other fixtures and designs too frequently can be irritating for both employees and customers. The idea of change can be good, but change too frequent and unnecessarily is desperate and wasteful of time and resources.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Bittersweet Job Experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate II
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate II

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible scheduling
    -Chance to earn commission
    -Laid-back environment in most stores
    -Decent benefits for full-time associates
    -Good chance to excel into management positions

Cons

-Rigid sales technique enforced
    -Hours fluctuate regularly
    -Management can be very unorganized
    -Commission rate dependent on stores performance, not the associate alone
    -Starting wage can be very low

2. Fantastic Internship

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

I was able to work with some great industry professionals and really experience a large corporation, both the good and the bad. I grew professionally and was able to sharpen my skillset by networking with the my coworkers and learning from their skills.

Cons

In a large corporation it sometimes takes a little bit of management in order to get something done.