Great

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Easy to work with. Nothing to challenging. Managers were very nice and easy going

Cons

Pay was not the best. Did not train well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Horrible corporate management fueled by deception and using its employees.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing really is a pro at this retailer.

Cons

This list of cons could go on for days so I will just keep it short with a few of the cons that stand out to me at the moment. Underpaying associates tremendously! Fact: If you are hired off the street, you will get paid more knowing nothing than if you were to get a promotion and knowing everything about the store. Overworking employees. Not providing training. Not providing necessary payroll to run a store properly (some stores can't even staff a cashier). Pressures employees to sell services and warranties that aren't needed just to get the customers money. No policies actually mean anything. Totally mess in corporate; you get commended for doing the right thing by customers and then torn a new one by corporate, then if the situation was reversed and you followed the company policy that corporate created and the customer wasn't pleased, you get torn a new one for that. It's a lose-lose situation. Raises are horrible, unless you like 0 to 10 cents every year. The review process is rigged so you can't get reviews that you deserve. Same with the commission on selling services, the goals are set so high that the company rarely worries about paying out for hard work.

Advice to Management

Actually spend some "reality time" in your retail stores to understand how to properly run the company. The current model is horrible. Maybe try to actually set up a set of policies that you will actually use as opposed to setting up policies to which you instruct us to bend and break as to the situation and then scold us when news of such behavior reaches you. I have no doubt some of the part time workers could do a better job running the company because they actually see and know what is going on in the eyes of the customer. Also, maybe spend some money on advertising. Call me crazy but maybe that will get some people in the door. And if you do splurge and let people know you exist in the retail world, make sure the commercial isn't a horrible cryptic attempt at humor that the general public won't understand because absolutely no one knows what "Depot Time" means, nor would that care. Think of a better gimmick. That was easy. Now there is a great slogan and advertising campaign.

2. I have learned a lot, been treated great, best job in my young life.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Lake Worth, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Lake Worth, FL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are treated equal, and correct
    There are incentives such as selling product protection plans
    Relaxed environment
    Stress free
    Overall a good job experience

Cons

Mapping every customer is very annoying
    Many associates get away with murder, very irking to quality associates
    Recovery should not have to be done every Waking moment
    Raise only once a year
    Starting pay very low
    Takes forever to get promotions.

Advice to Management

Keep treating associates the way you have been, be more stringent with associates who slack off, innovate and promote from within, overall though this company is on the up and up,