Office Depot

www.officedepot.com
  www.officedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Overall a good place to work.

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Scheduling, variety of products to sell, work with great people.

Cons

I.S.C.E. program is borderline harassment of customers, and constant micromanaging of managers.

Make goals for locations more realistic, and pay closer attention to customer base for product sales.

1519 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

Friendly Environment, but they will take advantage of you

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Laplace, LA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Laplace, LA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love my coworkers, we make a great team!

Cons

I work part-time, when hired I was told I would be getting 28 hours a week. Since then hours have been cut tremendously, while the store continues to hire people. My coworkers and I have only 13 hours for this week but we just hired some new people which makes no sense to me at all. My store manager is very nice but at the same time it seems as if she wants us all to work at Office Depot forever with a low salary and low hours. Only managers get good hours and no one in the store works full time. Outside managers are extremely annoying.

Hire some folks full-time and increase the pay rate and maybe turnover will go down.

Horrible corporate management fueled by deception and using its employees.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing really is a pro at this retailer.

Cons

This list of cons could go on for days so I will just keep it short with a few of the cons that stand out to me at the moment. Underpaying associates tremendously! Fact: If you are hired off the street, you will get paid more knowing nothing than if you were to get a promotion and knowing everything about the store. Overworking employees. Not providing training. Not providing necessary payroll to run a store properly (some stores can't even staff a cashier). Pressures employees to sell services and warranties that aren't needed just to get the customers money. No policies actually mean anything. Totally mess in corporate; you get commended for doing the right thing by customers and then torn a new one by corporate, then if the situation was reversed and you followed the company policy that corporate created and the customer wasn't pleased, you get torn a new one for that. It's a lose-lose situation. Raises are horrible, unless you like 0 to 10 cents every year. The review process is rigged so you can't get reviews that you deserve. Same with the commission on selling services, the goals are set so high that the company rarely worries about paying out for hard work.

Actually spend some "reality time" in your retail stores to understand how to properly run the company. The current model is horrible. Maybe try to actually set up a set of policies that you will actually use as opposed to setting up policies to which you instruct us to bend and break as to the situation and then scold us when news of such behavior reaches you. I have no doubt some of the part time workers could do a better job running the company because they actually see and know what is going on in the eyes of the customer. Also, maybe spend some money on advertising. Call me crazy but maybe that will get some people in the door. And if you do splurge and let people know you exist in the retail world, make sure the commercial isn't a horrible cryptic attempt at humor that the general public won't understand because absolutely no one knows what "Depot Time" means, nor would that care. Think of a better gimmick. That was easy. Now there is a great slogan and advertising campaign.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot