There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Overall a great place to work, with a few minor gripes

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I

I worked at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers were friendly and accommodating to my schedule, great team of coworkers who seemed to all get along with one another, lots of useful experiencing dealing with people and selling all kinds of products, met interesting new people every day, decent work environment.

Cons

Little room for advancement in the store, dealing with impatient and/or downright obnoxious customers, store frequently understaffed, some elements of the ISCE program, hourly cutbacks, pay could be a bit better for all of the work being done.

Advice to Management

Was employed at a busy Office Depot store in the Southeast for a little less than a year. Looking back, I definitely learned a lot and enjoyed most of the things about my tenure there (see Pros), though there were a couple frustrating issues like frequent staff shortages, which would leave literally no cashiers and the floor associates would be forced into juggling both tasks at once. I thought the ISCE program made sense in theory, but did not think it was necessary to constantly follow-up with customers and ask if they needed any more assistance. The pay could have been a little better too considering how much work you really end up doing, but at least I had a job. Fortunately though, there were very few other issues I had with working there. Overall I would recommend Office Depot if you're looking to work with a great team and gain a lot of experience.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Interesting Store

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An easy, in-door work environment with Interesting customers to work for and a fairly decent salary with bonuses included, if your store performs well.

Cons

Manager's are too immature and nosey. You should keep your opinions of other's to yourself. This reminds me of high school.

Advice to Management

Keep your opinions of other co-worker's personal life to yourself.

Poor corporate policy trickled down to ineffective stores

Former Employee - CSS-I in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - CSS-I in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked with some great co-workers. Learned about management, customer service and upselling all of which have since been useful to me. Once hired it's easy to get hired again, it's a good fall back job.

Cons

Bickering among management, managers have poor people skills. Store commissions aren't paid out based on your own productivity but rather the productivity of the store. In other words if you sell 3000 dollars worth of tech add ons (which I have in the past) but no one else in the store makes their quota you end up with no commission. Customers are pushy and mean, employees are paid far too little and as a consequence are disgruntled and do as little as they can possibly get away with.

Advice to Management

Put more into your employees, pay them better, give them hope for advancement, treat them like family and watch your profits soar. Your policy-centric focus is doing nothing for you. Focus on making your employees happy and they will pass it on to your customers.