Office Depot

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

It's good

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Retail gig, what can I say? It has it's ups and downs.

Cons

Expectations high to impossible. Can be very rough.

Less ISCE

1578 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

Very demanding as a manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The hours as a department manager remain at around 40.
    Great benefits.
    The turnover rate doesn't seem to be too high in my store.

Cons

Don't bank on commission. The goals are, at times, outrageous and most times we don't bonus.

Not an encouraging or coaching environment. They seem to only focus on negatives.

Not enough payroll to be fully staffed so the tasks don't get done and if they do then it takes working on days off or ignoring customers... both of which are frowned upon.
    The hours are all over the place. Sometimes I open, sometimes I close. The days off are rarely consistent.
    NOT a good place for a parent... especially a single parent.
    Does not respect personal values when it comes to going to church. I wouldn't ever complain about it to HR but I work a lot of sundays even after requesting them off.

The workload they drop on you as a manager is a LOT!!! Too much for us to do then we get hounded for it not being done. I am hoping that the merge with office max will help.
    Most store managers sit in their office most of the time then wonder why the store is lacking.

MORE PAYROLL!!! We need more people in the stores to get everything done properly!
    More in depth, hands on training for our copy and print specialists along with higher pay for them (That is one of the hardest jobs in the store, if done right)
    Set hours.

Former Technology Sales Specialist.

Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Office Depot for almost four years and can think of nothing positive about my experience.

Cons

I wasted almost four years of my life working for this company. I started as the low man on the totem pole and it took almost four years of going above and beyond expectations before i was promoted to full time. I worked in technology up until then and was passed by people from other companies who had "more experience." Even the people in my store who did absolutely nothing received pay raises and moved on. I had a feeling they didn't promote me because I was the only one in technology that knew how to do planograms. I only had two managers that I respected during that time because they, in turn, respected me and actually treated me like a human being. Once I finally got promoted to Technology Sales Specialist, I was forced to move to another store that was further away from my home because someone else was "promised" that position at my store because it was closer to his home. That's not fair at all. Once I was at the new store I was only there for four months before I was wrongly fired for going above and beyond to help a customer with their computer. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? But instead I was fired. Mainly because none of the managers there liked me because I didn't cave in to their bullcrap by going and getting them Starbucks when they wanted it and sucking up to them. They loved the people that did that, and they loved hiring their own friends.

Actually get out on the floor and do some work. Stay off your phone like all the other employees. That's another thing, regular employees can get written up or fired for having their phone out on the sales floor but managers can stand right in front of a customer and browse Facebook. Stop treating your employees like crap and when someone actually does work, reward them, don't fire them for no good reason and make actually having a place to live a hard thing to come by.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot