Office Depot

www.officedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Decent

I have been working at Office Depot full-time

Pros

Ability to move up, and gain work experience. Ability to gain connections in retail.

Cons

Radios used for training are horribly utilized for training, you feel treated like a second class citizen or a small child with the amount of repetition of common sense based information. The company is so micromanaged, it is painful. There is no room for creativity, or merchandising outside of their cookie cutter approach to pushing product off the sales floor. With the the micromanagement that is put into effect, their horribly inefficient computer systems and outdated approach to management, it is a miracle that they are keeping their head above water in our upside down economy.

Treat the managers and associates at your stores with more respect and dignity, and it will ignite a passion within your employees. Passionate people who smile are the ones that need to interact with your customers, to have happy employees they need to feel appreciated and not scrutinized or treated like black sheep.

1514 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

An excellent place to learn some skills and get your feet wet for retail.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked here as a CSS-1 for almost 2 years.

The co workers I met were just awesome, and management was ok. I met alot of customers and some of them actually started to come in to see me. You do get recognized for the work that you put in. For example If you go above and beyond the expectations then managers will notice! They issue Bravo cards every time you do something extra special. So your achievements will be recognized. Sometimes my managers would buy us lunch/food.

You will learn how to approach a customer and learn how to provide customer service. The skills you learn here are the best. Also if you work here for a bit it will make things easier when you try to get another job in retail. For example if you work here for a bit and learn the skills you could apply at a furniture store, consumer electronics store, and even a cell phone retail store. The possibilities are endless once you acquire the skills at this job!

Cons

Terrible pay. I started in Aug of 2011 at 7.40 an hour and after a year I only got a 0.22 cent raise. Also a lot of new faces were coming in as associates and were getting paid more than me!

You will do alot of stuff for little money. Corporate will tell employees to do some very ridiculous things. Picking up for other peoples slack.

Pay your employees more.

It's good

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Retail gig, what can I say? It has it's ups and downs.

Cons

Expectations high to impossible. Can be very rough.

Less ISCE