Office Depot

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

50/50

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My experience as a manager equipped me with the knowledge and skills I needed to advance my career at another company. I learned a great deal about excellent customer service, which Office Depot to their credit, strives for on a daily basis. Office Depot offers fairly good benefits for employees and their families. They offer competitive salaries in the retail industry if you are an "outside" hire. Most store level managers I worked with over the years (nine total), cared about their employees and tried to make the work environment a positive one. Office Depot was very good at rewarding employees for cultivating excellent customer service and meeting sales goals.

Cons

Advancement is not easy, and is often times political (who you know). Upper management (District Managers, Regional Managers) are generally arrogant and non-personal. I say "generally", because of my personal experience working with six different district managers, of which, only one was amiable. The others were autocratic, overly presumptuous and pretentious (or just "arrogant" as I stated above). They seemed to really love the "got ya" moments; even if you were following protocol they often made you feel incompetent. Upper management and the cut-throat culture that they themselves foster is why I left the company after nearly a decade. Of course after I turned in my notice, not a single person from corporate (nor my own district manager) inquired as to the reason for my departure.

Trust your store managers...District managers should be less of the proverbial "big-brother" and much more of a support system. I still am not sure to this today what a District Manager at Office Depot actually does besides visit stores....maybe a little more transparency is needed in the company? Encourage your 'inside' applicants with better salaries; knowing that an 'outside' hire makes on average 20% more than you is really disconcerting and demoralizing.

1510 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your lucky to have a great boss, you will have the opportunitity to learn a tremendous amount of information. There is plenty of room to grow with the company.

Cons

Processes not set in place.

Create processes that work around last minute projects to prevent associates running around going crazy.

Your experience will depend on local and regional management.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job you can get with a heartbeat. My peers have been pretty cool. It's great practice in customer service.

Cons

They overload you with rules, guidelines, scripts, instructions, etc. This limits your ability to be innovative. If your managers are not good you will be miserable.

To corporate: Less rules or clearer rules. To local: motivate us with a more positive outlook.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot