50/50

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience as a manager equipped me with the knowledge and skills I needed to advance my career at another company. I learned a great deal about excellent customer service, which Office Depot to their credit, strives for on a daily basis. Office Depot offers fairly good benefits for employees and their families. They offer competitive salaries in the retail industry if you are an "outside" hire. Most store level managers I worked with over the years (nine total), cared about their employees and tried to make the work environment a positive one. Office Depot was very good at rewarding employees for cultivating excellent customer service and meeting sales goals.

Cons

Advancement is not easy, and is often times political (who you know). Upper management (District Managers, Regional Managers) are generally arrogant and non-personal. I say "generally", because of my personal experience working with six different district managers, of which, only one was amiable. The others were autocratic, overly presumptuous and pretentious (or just "arrogant" as I stated above). They seemed to really love the "got ya" moments; even if you were following protocol they often made you feel incompetent. Upper management and the cut-throat culture that they themselves foster is why I left the company after nearly a decade. Of course after I turned in my notice, not a single person from corporate (nor my own district manager) inquired as to the reason for my departure.

Advice to Management

Trust your store managers...District managers should be less of the proverbial "big-brother" and much more of a support system. I still am not sure to this today what a District Manager at Office Depot actually does besides visit stores....maybe a little more transparency is needed in the company? Encourage your 'inside' applicants with better salaries; knowing that an 'outside' hire makes on average 20% more than you is really disconcerting and demoralizing.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Serious Problems with Philosophy

Current Employee - CSS- II
    Current Employee - CSS- II

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's hard to get fired, so there is job security. Middle management - department, and store managers - are good, its the higher ups that don't have a clue and make life suck.

Cons

The biggest issue with this company is their customer service philosophy. I think its great that they want to please everyone but that's not actually possible in the real world. The company is "training bad customers" by rewarding customers that throw fits and demand services for free. In turn associates are scared to "upset" anyone in fear they will give a bad survey. The big rub is that its better for customers to complain than be happy. If a customer gives a "1" survey they get a phone call from upper management and a $25 gift card, if they give a "5" survey they get a coupon for $10 off their next purchase of $50 or more. Any mother will tell you that rewarding temper tantrums only creates more temper tantrums. These aren't just customers that have been legitimately let down by the stores service. I know of one case where a guy assaulted an employee, was escorted from the property by police and told to never come back, but when he called corporate to complain about the employee they gave him a gift card and apologized for the stores actions. They have policies for things like returns and services but the rules are a joke. One district manager was quoted say "why do your employees think they should follow policy if it makes the customer unhappy". As a result the company is giving away millions of dollars of products and services every quarter. And where do the funds come from? They come from the employees who have now been cut back from a maximum of 28 hours a week to 25, and pay cuts have been given to longstanding employees who "make too much for their job title". The majority of jobs in the company are part time and full time jobs are hard to get. Most stores want you to have open availability so second jobs are difficult to obtain. Shrink is a problem as well. The company doesn't do anything to customers that steal, only employees. Associates aren't allowed to stop people who are stealing from the store, if that person complains, the store will be in trouble for making a customer unhappy. Employees are expected to work the impossible and make every person in the store happy, but everyone out there has a different idea of what a perfect store experience is. One person may want a personal shopper to walk around the store and help them find everything, the next person may want to be left alone and a mere hello is offensive. I've seen customers get made because we didn't know what products our competitors sold and at what price. That's the world we live in and a philosophy that every customer can be happy is going to bankrupt the company..

Advice to Management

Have a more balanced approach to customer service, know you cant please everyone and build policies that work for the majority of people (then stick to them). Invest in good employees, give them full time hours and treat them good, happy employees will bend over backwards to make happy customers. Don't reward bad behavior, if a true failure to help a customer occurs then making amends is appropriate but just because a person demands something doesn't mean they are entitled to it, put some faith in your employees and management to make a good call. Which goes back to treating the employees good so they treat customers good and having firm policies so you have a uniform experience across the country.

2. Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Torrance, CA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and friendly enviroment!

Cons

Didn't like the 1 hout commute from home!