50/50

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience as a manager equipped me with the knowledge and skills I needed to advance my career at another company. I learned a great deal about excellent customer service, which Office Depot to their credit, strives for on a daily basis. Office Depot offers fairly good benefits for employees and their families. They offer competitive salaries in the retail industry if you are an "outside" hire. Most store level managers I worked with over the years (nine total), cared about their employees and tried to make the work environment a positive one. Office Depot was very good at rewarding employees for cultivating excellent customer service and meeting sales goals.

Cons

Advancement is not easy, and is often times political (who you know). Upper management (District Managers, Regional Managers) are generally arrogant and non-personal. I say "generally", because of my personal experience working with six different district managers, of which, only one was amiable. The others were autocratic, overly presumptuous and pretentious (or just "arrogant" as I stated above). They seemed to really love the "got ya" moments; even if you were following protocol they often made you feel incompetent. Upper management and the cut-throat culture that they themselves foster is why I left the company after nearly a decade. Of course after I turned in my notice, not a single person from corporate (nor my own district manager) inquired as to the reason for my departure.

Advice to Management

Trust your store managers...District managers should be less of the proverbial "big-brother" and much more of a support system. I still am not sure to this today what a District Manager at Office Depot actually does besides visit stores....maybe a little more transparency is needed in the company? Encourage your 'inside' applicants with better salaries; knowing that an 'outside' hire makes on average 20% more than you is really disconcerting and demoralizing.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your lucky to have a great boss, you will have the opportunitity to learn a tremendous amount of information. There is plenty of room to grow with the company.

Cons

Processes not set in place.

Advice to Management

Create processes that work around last minute projects to prevent associates running around going crazy.

2. Just another retail job

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Panama City Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Panama City Beach, FL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

10% off good stability as far as companies go and if you can impress the management you can go places but it will take a lot of luck.

Cons

They treat their employees not surprisingly. poorly. I am a technology specialist. It depends heavily upon the management you are under. Good for kids coming right out of high school, but as far as a career goes, not much going on.

Advice to Management

Don't micro-manage!