Office Depot

www.officedepot.com

Great place to be employed at.

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Chicago, IL

Pros

Salary, Benefits , Culture & Management

Cons

None - all is good here.

Keep up the good work

Other reviews for Office Depot

Serious Problems with Philosophy

Current Employee - CSS- II
    Current Employee - CSS- II

Pros

It's hard to get fired, so there is job security. Middle management - department, and store managers - are good, its the higher ups that don't have a clue and make life suck.

Cons

The biggest issue with this company is their customer service philosophy. I think its great that they want to please everyone but that's not actually possible in the real world. The company is "training bad customers" by rewarding customers that throw fits and demand services for free. In turn associates are scared to "upset" anyone in fear they will give a bad survey. The big rub is that its better for customers to complain than be happy. If a customer gives a "1" survey they get a phone call from upper management and a $25 gift card, if they give a "5" survey they get a coupon for $10 off their next purchase of $50 or more. Any mother will tell you that rewarding temper tantrums only creates more temper tantrums. These aren't just customers that have been legitimately let down by the stores service. I know of one case where a guy assaulted an employee, was escorted from the property by police and told to never come back, but when he called corporate to complain about the employee they gave him a gift card and apologized for the stores actions. They have policies for things like returns and services but the rules are a joke. One district manager was quoted say "why do your employees think they should follow policy if it makes the customer unhappy". As a result the company is giving away millions of dollars of products and services every quarter. And where do the funds come from? They come from the employees who have now been cut back from a maximum of 28 hours a week to 25, and pay cuts have been given to longstanding employees who "make too much for their job title". The majority of jobs in the company are part time and full time jobs are hard to get. Most stores want you to have open availability so second jobs are difficult to obtain. Shrink is a problem as well. The company doesn't do anything to customers that steal, only employees. Associates aren't allowed to stop people who are stealing from the store, if that person complains, the store will be in trouble for making a customer unhappy. Employees are expected to work the impossible and make every person in the store happy, but everyone out there has a different idea of what a perfect store experience is. One person may want a personal shopper to walk around the store and help them find everything, the next person may want to be left alone and a mere hello is offensive. I've seen customers get made because we didn't know what products our competitors sold and at what price. That's the world we live in and a philosophy that every customer can be happy is going to bankrupt the company..

Have a more balanced approach to customer service, know you cant please everyone and build policies that work for the majority of people (then stick to them). Invest in good employees, give them full time hours and treat them good, happy employees will bend over backwards to make happy customers. Don't reward bad behavior, if a true failure to help a customer occurs then making amends is appropriate but just because a person demands something doesn't mean they are entitled to it, put some faith in your employees and management to make a good call. Which goes back to treating the employees good so they treat customers good and having firm policies so you have a uniform experience across the country.

A Typical Retail Experience

Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

At my store at least, management seemed to have a genuine interest in providing a great experience to the customer. While I worked there I got along well with my co-workers and generally didn't have any problems with either them or management. I was also paid above minimum wage, which was a nice surprise for a retail sales floor position.

Cons

It's retail. Inevitably you're going to wind up trying to push something on the customer they neither want nor need at the behest of management because they're trying to make up ground in the monthly sales reports, namely the extended warranty plans. Their official position on certain products (i.e. endorsing McAfee Antivirus) is inexcusable from a professional perspective when much better alternatives exist, yet we're not allowed to mention those because McAfee is bundled with the overpriced tech service package.

Train the computer sales associates to know more about the hardware they're selling.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!