There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Corporate expectations and plans are unrealistic

Former Employee - Department Manager
Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had a great assistant manager and store manager
It can be a fun work environment
There's opportunity to advance when you have a store manager that seeks to improve and advance their employees

Cons

- individual experiences for different stores
- the new isce program is completely unrealistic, customers comment that they're uncomfortable and annoyed, it was a total waste of money! When all the stores needed is some good product knowledge training and customer service training!
-it's retail

Advice to Management

take advice from lower levels, Not corporate! Maybe some corporate people should work in store for a couple weeks to see how to really please the customers

reviews filtered by
  1. Bad hours, bad pay

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I

I worked at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are cool.
    Gets you retail experience

Cons

Amount of work vs. pay is horrible. The Freight team doing the heavy lifting gets paid just as much as cashiers starting out. You have to be there a full year before possibly getting a raise, which is tough since the job is just so monotonous.
    People are always in a hurry so 70% of them are jerks. Just gotta get used to that.
    Oh and the discount sucks. 10% off everything and 20% off food and drink. basically just eliminates some tax.

Not a bad place

Current Employee - Tech Associate
    Current Employee - Tech Associate

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, I personally have great managers and enjoy being around my coworkers. It's not a hard job to get "good" at, and everyone I've talked to feels that the job isn't too challenging. The hours are very flexible; I'm a student and management has been very helpful in making my schedule work with me.

Cons

Base pay is 8 dollars an hour, and I haven't seen any increase in the 5 months I've been there. Upper management(district managers) Is kind of big brothery, visiting regularly and trying to trip up associates with questions.

Advice to Management

Pay your associates what they deserve. Don't ask questions, then demean associates when they don't know the answer: show them