Office Depot

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Great management training program

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding customer service skills learned. Ability to run your own business and work with business clients

Cons

Stores closed in Cleveland Market

1583 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for over 1 year.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Silverdale, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Silverdale, WA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with public. Good co-workers and good hours.

Cons

Upper management is too bureaucratic. Too much emphasis on making sales targets for ALL employees. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Focus on serving the customer, not management's revenue targets.

UGH!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You meet the best coworkers here. They hire "happy" people, so I do fit in pretty well
    -Good pay.A good 50 cents above my minimum wage. Good for a college kid.
    -The hours are reasonable for summertime
    -If you close you're usually out by 10:00 pm
    -30 minute meal break provided
    -You get a good pat on the back for a job well done

Cons

Where do I even start?
    -They micro-manage you..at least my location does.
    -You have to remind the manager a MILLION times what days or times you need off,and they drag their feet doing it. I had to threaten to quit if they didn't give me my days/times I needed off for school. They favorited associates as well. Letting someone call in and not get mad, then all the sudden they get mad at you for it.
    -They have a hard time keeping employees due to schedule conflicts, micro-management, and the way management handles situations. Recently this month, my location lost a handful of associates because of the way they handled things. I have been around other locations and their working environment is so much nicer and smoother.
    -Get ready to only hear about SURVEYS SURVEYS SURVEYS! At the register, You have to let the customers know about the survey online so they can get a coupon and give our store some feedback on our customer service. Get ready for your store manager to have a fit because you got in 4 surveys at a good rating and just 1 that was almost an acceptable rating.I had to cross my fingers hoping that a customer would do the survey for us
    -It isn't the management's fault, but office depot is ran by 5-6 employees(1 or 2 being management) running around from the morning time until the time they get off,then the closing crew has even less. The store is divided into 3 zones, and according to what zone you are assigned to, you have to stay there. I wanted to help out customers so bad but I'd get yelled out...but the furniture/other associate would be with another customer!! Customers complain about it so much its not even funny. I hated making customers upset because I had to make them wait on an associate because my supervisor didn't let me leave.
    -Then there's the Copy center. Why the heck do they only have 1 copy center person in there?I don't even know but I felt bad for our copy center associate. At times they decided to throw me in there because someone had called in. Not everyone is trained for copy center! I am the clumsiest person that worked there, and they decided to put me in there?Makes no sense whatsoever.Copy center people need to be TRULY xerox certified
    -Bottom line...if you want a less stressfull, less demanding job..quit this job and run FAR AWAY.

Coorperate management(?) please consider having more people on the floor. 1 more would help a lot...
    Get rid of the micro-management, or really promote the "One customer at a time" slogan.It really feels like we do 3 customers at a time with not many employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot