Office Depot

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Pretty Good Place to Work as a Territory Development Manager

Former Employee - Territory Development Manager in Burbank, CA
Former Employee - Territory Development Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for Office Depot BSD for 2 years in Burbank. It was a good experience. What made it a good experience were the people and the District Sales Manager I had. He was a true professional and knew a lot about the business. More importantly, he (K.B.) was always willing to lend a helping hand to all of his reps to make sure we were successful.

If you work for this company, you will learn a lot about business. Very little if any micro management. You work from out of your home office, and go into the main office once a week for a weekly meetings.

The Burbank office was a pleasant office to work out of. I ended up leaving because my old boss in the medical field wanted me to come work for her at her new company, and it was a $20K raise on my base salary. I could not turn that down

Salary at Office Depot is between $50 and 55K to start. If you perform, you can expect a 3% raise every year.

Unless things have changed since 2010 (which I am sure they have), You can expect between $1200 - $2400 in commission every month.

Cons

The biggest problem I had with the company was the car allowance. They used something called Runzstimer. After taxes it was not enough money to cover your travel and gas. You were coming out of pocket every month. No way around it either. You will be on the road a lot.

My manager was great...no complaints. As a matter of fact, all of the managers in the Burbank office were great. I can't tell you what it was / is like for other offices.

1510 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

A view from management

Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for managers, all associates are offered medical benefits

Cons

Very shady corporate mentality on overtime. I have worked many hours of overtime as have several other managers and we never seem to get paid for it. Overtime is severely frowned upon by corporate and there is always threats to lose if your job if you get any. However, if you leave without finishing your tasks then you are considered a non team player and will be micro managed from then on out. Even as a manager, the store manager is always looking for things you do wrong and never give you and heads up on what you did right.

There is a huge lack of care for the lower employees. When an employee with come up to us to ask for time off, it is very rarely ever given due to the "needs of the business" even though our coverage will be fine.

Management is also forced to bend over for customers, as if we dont, they can leave a very bad survey and that will lead to jobs being lost. Even if the customer is clearly scamming the store, corporate will not care and will fire anyone with a bad survey to their name.

Give the store management some more room to work. Pay us for the time we put in and dont be so afraid of one bad customer survey. Some customers come there just to get things for free because they know we are to scared to do anything else. Care about your people more and give us more to work with !

Store Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time

Pros

Work with great people in store. Rotating weekends are the general rule for managers (not typical in retail). Can have as much responsibility as you want if you go after it.

Cons

Managers are not honest about the direction of the company and how that may affect you. Cutting salaries regularly. District Managers often pass difficult situations or projects onto Store Managers, this may include interactions that build a divide among peers. Dont live the culture and values they speak about in sales pitch.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot