Office Depot

www.officedepot.com
  www.officedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Fast paced environment requires attention to detail and love of customer service

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbia, MO
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Always something to do, someone to help, and people to talk to. You're always moving and rarely left bored. Corporate allows you to say "yes" to a customer without any fuss.

Cons

Workload is sometimes too heavy due to strict payroll. There is little accountability for store management to ensure schedules and reviews are actually being done.

Hold management accountable for schedules being posted earlier in the week. Hold store managers accountable for managing people (hiring, firing, scheduling, and training), not random tasks.

1513 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

Good place to work but no growing oppurtunities.

Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job isn't stressful or demand too much. Sell Protection plans that pay commission but if the store doesn't hit its goal you can lose your bonus.

Cons

Not much full time availability. Office depot merged with office max and 9 assistant managers got demoted to department managers, that's including their salary. Bad manager makes the job harder than it should be.

A view from management

Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for managers, all associates are offered medical benefits

Cons

Very shady corporate mentality on overtime. I have worked many hours of overtime as have several other managers and we never seem to get paid for it. Overtime is severely frowned upon by corporate and there is always threats to lose if your job if you get any. However, if you leave without finishing your tasks then you are considered a non team player and will be micro managed from then on out. Even as a manager, the store manager is always looking for things you do wrong and never give you and heads up on what you did right.

There is a huge lack of care for the lower employees. When an employee with come up to us to ask for time off, it is very rarely ever given due to the "needs of the business" even though our coverage will be fine.

Management is also forced to bend over for customers, as if we dont, they can leave a very bad survey and that will lead to jobs being lost. Even if the customer is clearly scamming the store, corporate will not care and will fire anyone with a bad survey to their name.

Give the store management some more room to work. Pay us for the time we put in and dont be so afraid of one bad customer survey. Some customers come there just to get things for free because they know we are to scared to do anything else. Care about your people more and give us more to work with !

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot