Office Depot

www.officedepot.com
  www.officedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

It's a bitter sweet job as an associate.

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Now I can only speak for my store in the Metro Atlanta Area (will not be specific). If you are a basic Customer Service Specialist I (starting position). It is a bitter sweet situation. The pros are that there is a part of the day (hours vary by time of year but around 12-4) Called "Depot Time" This means that the only thing you are supposed to do is speak with customers and either direct them to the product they are looking for or sell them on a product they are debating on buying. This is great because you are moving a lot and interacting with many people and doing sales work. At least at my store the majority of staff get along and it is a good working environment between eachother, especially with the team work the job requires (lots of communication over the headsets).

Cons

Outside of "Depot Time" is where things get tedious. You are often sent to do little tasks, sometime things like reorganizing shelves the way corporate requires which is understandable. However it seems often that things are just made up to have you do for the illusion that payroll isn't being wasted. When it honestly is worse off as you are often doing tasks that don't even need to be done or were just taken care of very recently. As a CSS I you are payed minimum wage and the work they put you through with these tasks are often much more work that minimum wage is worth, especially when your time could be better spent on helping customers that do often get missed and neglected when these tasks are being done. It just seems a bit anti-productive to the message of "Depot Time" or the saying all associates are taught, and they're slogan of sorts "Building our business one customer as a time".

Require less tasking and more customer service, its preferable for the employee and more beneficial to the customers. Of course many tasks are necessary, but manage the time for them better and don't hop on an associate because they aren't working with a customer that very second. We aren't hiding from them..

1510 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

A view from management

Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for managers, all associates are offered medical benefits

Cons

Very shady corporate mentality on overtime. I have worked many hours of overtime as have several other managers and we never seem to get paid for it. Overtime is severely frowned upon by corporate and there is always threats to lose if your job if you get any. However, if you leave without finishing your tasks then you are considered a non team player and will be micro managed from then on out. Even as a manager, the store manager is always looking for things you do wrong and never give you and heads up on what you did right.

There is a huge lack of care for the lower employees. When an employee with come up to us to ask for time off, it is very rarely ever given due to the "needs of the business" even though our coverage will be fine.

Management is also forced to bend over for customers, as if we dont, they can leave a very bad survey and that will lead to jobs being lost. Even if the customer is clearly scamming the store, corporate will not care and will fire anyone with a bad survey to their name.

Give the store management some more room to work. Pay us for the time we put in and dont be so afraid of one bad customer survey. Some customers come there just to get things for free because they know we are to scared to do anything else. Care about your people more and give us more to work with !

Store Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time

Pros

Work with great people in store. Rotating weekends are the general rule for managers (not typical in retail). Can have as much responsibility as you want if you go after it.

Cons

Managers are not honest about the direction of the company and how that may affect you. Cutting salaries regularly. District Managers often pass difficult situations or projects onto Store Managers, this may include interactions that build a divide among peers. Dont live the culture and values they speak about in sales pitch.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot