There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Great

Former Employee - Intern
Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Office Depot as an intern

Pros

Really enjoy the atmosphere and experience working at corporate. Lots of opportunities.

Cons

The culture is a little slow and conservative, and they seem to be always playing catch up

1449 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

Fast paced environment requires attention to detail and love of customer service

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Always something to do, someone to help, and people to talk to. You're always moving and rarely left bored. Corporate allows you to say "yes" to a customer without any fuss.

Cons

Workload is sometimes too heavy due to strict payroll. There is little accountability for store management to ensure schedules and reviews are actually being done.

Hold management accountable for schedules being posted earlier in the week. Hold store managers accountable for managing people (hiring, firing, scheduling, and training), not random tasks.

It's a bitter sweet job as an associate.

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Now I can only speak for my store in the Metro Atlanta Area (will not be specific). If you are a basic Customer Service Specialist I (starting position). It is a bitter sweet situation. The pros are that there is a part of the day (hours vary by time of year but around 12-4) Called "Depot Time" This means that the only thing you are supposed to do is speak with customers and either direct them to the product they are looking for or sell them on a product they are debating on buying. This is great because you are moving a lot and interacting with many people and doing sales work. At least at my store the majority of staff get along and it is a good working environment between eachother, especially with the team work the job requires (lots of communication over the headsets).

Cons

Outside of "Depot Time" is where things get tedious. You are often sent to do little tasks, sometime things like reorganizing shelves the way corporate requires which is understandable. However it seems often that things are just made up to have you do for the illusion that payroll isn't being wasted. When it honestly is worse off as you are often doing tasks that don't even need to be done or were just taken care of very recently. As a CSS I you are payed minimum wage and the work they put you through with these tasks are often much more work that minimum wage is worth, especially when your time could be better spent on helping customers that do often get missed and neglected when these tasks are being done. It just seems a bit anti-productive to the message of "Depot Time" or the saying all associates are taught, and they're slogan of sorts "Building our business one customer as a time".

Require less tasking and more customer service, its preferable for the employee and more beneficial to the customers. Of course many tasks are necessary, but manage the time for them better and don't hop on an associate because they aren't working with a customer that very second. We aren't hiding from them..

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot