Office De-pot

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tallahassee, FL
Former Employee - Account Manager in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Flexible schedule. If you needed time for a doctor's appointment you just went, no big deal if anyone new about it or not. I enjoyed working with the people in my district, and I personally had a good relationship with the local stores though I heard other areas they were more adversarial. If you could get high enough the money could be really good. Benefits were okay, nothing special.

Cons

You never got done with your work, going 24/7/365 and you still had things to do. If you were a lower tier account manager you struggled to stay above the poverty line. I kid you not, I was in the top 20 in the nation at my position, with a $6 million goal and over 1000 ship to address and my family still qualified for food stamps and other federal aids, while others would have 12 accounts and be making more in bonus than I would in salary. Also they were re-aligning the sales force every couple of years. Sometimes it would be the start of the second quarter before we would know what our sales goals were or what we were going to be bonused on. Once we were to be getting 20% of our bonus off a particular product catagory, but four months into the year they told us to stop sending in bid proposals because we were not competitive in that market. You would think they would have adjusted our bonus structure accordingly, you would be wrong. So we went the rest of the year knowing that we could do everything asked of us and we would only get 80% what was due us.

Advice to Management

Pay the lower tier account managers a wage that compensates them for the amount of time and effort they put into it. When YOU mess up, don't make up the difference off the backs of the people one check away from living on the street.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to get some experience, but don't look to move up.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in Baytown, TX

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Fair commission payout, flexible work schedules (for part-time employees), good place to work while in school.

Cons

Low pay compared to other companies in the industry, no real room for advancement, marginal bonuses per year, promotion next to impossible from within the company, horrible support from district management

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, and more importantly your customers, with more respect and take the time to listen to the people on the sales floor and not just look at numbers and balance sheets. Be more willing to compensate your employees and reward those deserving with promotions.

2. No respect

Former Employee - Technology Salesperson in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Technology Salesperson in Decatur, GA

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Learn intimate knowledge about their electronics product. When the STORE sales well, if you did as well, you get a decent compensation. You get free insider deals in plenty of electronics. You get bonuses for selling insurance on electronics.

Cons

Management was incompetent and lazy. A real "Whip and chain type of management. More than being disrespectful to employees, department managers are disrespectful to customers, because they felt their jobs were "safe"

Advice to Management

Learn to view an employee's capabilities individually, without allowing your judgment to be clouded by their ability to fix computers and save the store money. You lose money when you lose customers.