Ok.

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Altadena, CA
Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Altadena, CA

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Flexibility with time to work.

Cons

Cuts hours during non peak seasons

Advice to Management

Be More involved with everyday work of all associates.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. They dangle the carrot

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Office Depot does support moving up from within. They do offer paid days off, small bonuses for selling certain items (warrantys). They have a good health care plan. 10.00 for Dr visits, 25.00 for specialists, 1000.00 for hospital emergencies. They let you transfer to different states. I have worked at probably 5 different locations in 7 years and all of the managers I have worked for have been good people.

Cons

The cons are that they want and expect you to do a lot for a small wage, and by this I mean learn every position in the store and do them. The company constantly tries to save money by cutting hours which isn't the managers fault but I have constantly been in the position of one manager and two employees running huge megastore locations for the last 5 hours of the work day. 3 People running a store and working every dept. The copy centers alone ALWAYS need 2 employees and they just don't get it. So there are always angry customers and theft due to the lack of employee coverage. You literally have to run around when you work at Office Depot. Plus the wage is low. I got up to 14.50 (which is comfortable) once in my career at Office Depot, then I moved to a city where there wasn't a Depot and had to quit. I moved back a few months later after not being able to find work and got my old job back at a 3.50 drop in pay and I was never able to get more money out of them. I did the same job for years with a big reduction and then the standard .25 cents a year raise. The store managers are good people it's the corporation itself that demands a lot for little reward. They set the business up as a very customer oriented environment ie: fixing their computers, solving their problems, doing advanced layouts and problem solving in the copy center, hand delivering furniture to customers and putting things together for them, and not backing any of this up with adequate staff.

Advice to Management

Back up the policies put in place by having enough employee coverage.

2. No respect, disrespectful managers

Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Good pay (for a part time job) Most of the time you have something to do You don't have to know anything or have any common sense.

Cons

Managers are disrespectful. Customers are very rude and impatient. You have such a short time to memorize everything in the store. You end up doing jobs that are not your responsibility.

Advice to Management

Let us untuck our shirts.