Office Depot

Ok.

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Altadena, CA
Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Altadena, CA

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Flexibility with time to work.

Cons

Cuts hours during non peak seasons

Be More involved with everyday work of all associates.

1519 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

I'd Rather Work in a Third World Sweat Shop

Current Employee - Copy Center in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Copy Center in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Part-time vacation pay after the first six months.
    They usually rotate the schedule so that everyone takes turns getting the weekends off.
    A paycheck (though not very large) is involved.
    It's a job.

Cons

The store is severely understaffed. You have one person working a job that at least two or three people should be working. You would think with Office Depot trying to build a reputation of being very customer friendly they would have sufficient staffing. Nope. Customers walk out of the store everyday because you have one cashier or CPD associate during a rush and they have to wait in line for 30 minutes! Not to mention if you want to get a sip of water (cause we can't keep it by our register) or go to the bathroom within your 6-9 hour shift you're SOL. Also, don't count on getting your 30 minute break. Make sure you are over hydrated before work because you will be working long nine hour shifts without stepping away from your department at all.

Don't work in the Copy Center if you find comfort in routine jobs. It's different every single day and you will literally have someone walk in at least a few times per week with requests for things you've never done or have no idea how to do. It's bad enough that you won't be thoroughly trained, but the fact that you offer literally hundreds of products and services of which are all done in different ways makes it that much more difficult.

The schedule is VERY inflexible. There are only two other people that work in my department, both go to school at night. I was literally vomiting before work with a fever and still had to go in, otherwise there would be no one working the Copy Center. If you need a day or two off, be prepared, everyone will hate you. Also, I've needed a specific day of the week off and I established this with management when I got hired. They still schedule me for that day anyway.

Two words: minimum wage. I definitely put in more than I receive. Only one raise per year which is 3% of your current pay. That comes out to about only 14¢ where I live.

The monthly rewards for Employee of the Month and Bravo Cards - management never keeps up with. It's been months since they've done it. If they actually did it like they are supposed to, the Employee of the Month would get a $100 bonus and the Bravo winner would get a $75 bonus.

Office Depot attracts the worst customers. They are impatient, ungrateful, and they expect you to hold their hand while they walk through the store. The world revolves around them and they don't care that there are other customers in the store that need your assistance as well. God forbid you help a customer that was there before them. Also, for some reason they think they should never have to pay full price for anything and they don't respect company policy. They will deny a protection plan for a product and call months later because their computer broke and expect us to do something. Customers are always conning the store as well.

There is no chance for advancement. I work with people who have been with the company for 5-30 years and they still have the same job they started with.

Customers are often left disappointed because we never have anything in stock.

I could go on infinitely. In essence, if you like feeling like you're a chicken running around with it's head chopped off - go for it!

The biggest problem is inadequate staffing. The employees and the customers aren't happy. Work can't get done when you have one person running the store and 30 costumers leeching like vultures to the only available associate. You'll make more money in the long run if you actually have employees so that we can cater to the customers needs.

They dangle the carrot

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Office Depot does support moving up from within. They do offer paid days off, small bonuses for selling certain items (warrantys). They have a good health care plan. 10.00 for Dr visits, 25.00 for specialists, 1000.00 for hospital emergencies. They let you transfer to different states. I have worked at probably 5 different locations in 7 years and all of the managers I have worked for have been good people.

Cons

The cons are that they want and expect you to do a lot for a small wage, and by this I mean learn every position in the store and do them. The company constantly tries to save money by cutting hours which isn't the managers fault but I have constantly been in the position of one manager and two employees running huge megastore locations for the last 5 hours of the work day. 3 People running a store and working every dept. The copy centers alone ALWAYS need 2 employees and they just don't get it. So there are always angry customers and theft due to the lack of employee coverage. You literally have to run around when you work at Office Depot. Plus the wage is low. I got up to 14.50 (which is comfortable) once in my career at Office Depot, then I moved to a city where there wasn't a Depot and had to quit. I moved back a few months later after not being able to find work and got my old job back at a 3.50 drop in pay and I was never able to get more money out of them. I did the same job for years with a big reduction and then the standard .25 cents a year raise. The store managers are good people it's the corporation itself that demands a lot for little reward. They set the business up as a very customer oriented environment ie: fixing their computers, solving their problems, doing advanced layouts and problem solving in the copy center, hand delivering furniture to customers and putting things together for them, and not backing any of this up with adequate staff.

Back up the policies put in place by having enough employee coverage.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot