OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

Tedious tasks, forced to push "MaxAssurance" that was a waste of money for consumers.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Gain inside knowledge of technology and software used across multiple industries. It also allowed for relatively easy advancement within the company.

Cons

Minimal pay, forced to push insurance plans on products that it wasn't really worth in the first place. Expected to meet unrealistic goals for sales of the indurance.

Be more entry-level employee friendly. The decisions/actions you have taken in the past were not in the employee's best interest.

Other reviews for OfficeMax

An easy job with little stress, few perks.

Former Employee - Impress Associate  in  Medina, OH
    Former Employee - Impress Associate in Medina, OH

Pros

The job itself was an easy one and I was able to learn how to use a variety of office equipment and computer programs while getting paid, although it wasn't much above minimum wage at the time (roughly $7.60 an hour). The ImPress department didn't have high demands for selling or upselling product like employees on the sales floor were required to do, so it was less stressful in that aspect. There was usually only one person working in ImPress at a time with some overlap. The Medina branch is not very busy so there was a lot of down time. The employee discount wasn't much, but it was something at least...some variation of 10% off electronics and products, 20% off pop, candy, etc. Discounts were also available with outside companies, for example I got 17% off my Verizon bill because of my association with OfficeMax. Store management was good at making sure I had the flexibility I needed in my schedule and there were enough employees who knew ImPress that I was able to switch days with someone if necessary.

Cons

There were few opportunities to move up within the company and the few times I saw people advance, their salaries didn't increase by very much. The company didn't pay well at any level of employment and raises were negiligible. No health insurance was offered to part time employees. There is a high turnover rate with members of store management as well as employees lower down the chain. I've worked in retail for nearly eleven years and saw more members of management fired within this company than in any other. While store management was easy to work with, district management hardly acknowledged my presence and only came in every couple of months to completely criticize the most mundane of details in our displays or on our sales floor, offer no creative input whatsoever. District management, in the Northeast Ohio district at least, is absolutely deplorable.

It was okay as long as you could sale maxassurance:D

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Destin, FL

Pros

-pay was pretty decent for sales associate
    -a lot of hours
    -good co-workers

Cons

-favoritism was probably the biggest issue
    -promotions based on seniority rather than actual work

Better communication and training on the tech side

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!