There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

It pays more than some cashiering jobs

Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- easy job, once you've got the swing of things it's hard to mess up
- easy to take days off
- company improving
- commissions

Cons

- Officemax has high prices. Customer likes to let you know this.
- OfficeMax has very few advantages over its competitors, if any.
- Upward mobility is stagnant (they hire managment externally often from what I've seen), introducing new positions that don't get paid more so there is the *appearance* of mobility
- often hard to get hours
- they really push the warranties, warranties, warranties and need employees to push them like mad and push the employees to push WARRANTIES. If you can't sell warranties or don't want to, this company isn't for you.

1033 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

You're on your own

Current Employee - Pricing Specialist in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Pricing Specialist in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a cafeteria on site as well as a gym and a credit union for those who wish to utilize them.

Cons

I started at OfficeMax with the intention and desire to move up and stay with the company. I made it known to my manager that I wanted to stay with the company and grow with them. In spite of asking for additional training opportunites and expressing interest in growing with the company I was inundated with ridiculous amounts of mundane work (along with others in my position) with no time to, "come up for air." Management was extremely difficult to talk to because they were NEVER available.

Look at those around you with positive attitudes and valuable skills-especially when they are trying the best they can to reach out to you for growth and opportunity. It makes more sense financially and practically to hire from within in those cases instead of hiring from outside and making your own workers feel trapped and undervalued.

poorly run company

Current Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor in Itasca, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

the starting pay is ok when get hired but after that its downhill 3 out of the last 5 yrs employees did not get raises

Cons

officemax has been mismanaged for yrs , poor leadership for the top ,they implement new programs that cost atleast six figures in cost that fail or decide to go in another direction( financial wasteful ).they send supervisers on a all expense trip to other distribution centers to brain storm when a phone call or video conference will have the same results and cheaper or free .

restructure the business model and stop spending money like a fortune 500 company. upper management get alot of perks but don't have the performance to back it up. the old saying of garbage in garbage out hold true here. if officemax continue to run like garbage that is what the stock will become (almost there now)

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax