There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Expectations of the job are on the rise, which don't match low wages

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job is fairly easy, can earn spiffs to supplement base pay

Cons

Low base pay, store policies are consistently broken in order to give customer whatever they want, seems as though higher management expects us to care when it seems as though they don't. Job isn't mentally stimulating and boring.

Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax

1. OfficeMax

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits increase quickly over time.

Cons

Stressful always changing company initiatives.

2. Worst Retailer to work for! Yes, far worse than Wal-Mart!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can network with business owners.

Cons

-Lack there of training. Seriously, you're lucky if they train you at all. -High turnover rate. -Pay raise is supposedly 15 cents at the most. I won't stay a year to find out. -Company has closed more than 50 stores and is still closing more. -Mircomanaging. -Half hour lunches are pointless. It's unfair when management gets an hour when they sit in the office all day. -No room for advancement. -They force cashiers to beg for sales when the customer is just trying to go home. You have to get them to sign up for Max Perks, talk about the free PC Checkup, sell overpriced reams of paper, and get Maxes. -As sales associates, the company forces us to have desperate, car salesmen approach. -Higher prices than Staples and Depot. -You're expected to pressure customers into buying Max Assurance. It's nothing but a profit for Omax. You get a measly $1 commission. -They won't work around your school schedule. -Tech advisors are a joke and know very little about IT. -They expect you to wear dress shoes, but provide paper thin rugs at the register.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see the alleged statistics that state, 60% of customers will buy a Max Assurance based on how you pitch it. You constantly preach this at morning huddles, yet you don't provide proof when I ask where the numbers came from. Stop talking about associates behind their back to other associates. This isn't high school. Treat employees how you wish to be treated. If you treat us with no respect, don't be surprised when you get the same in return. Also $7.50 an hour (and a crap raise) means you're getting $7.50 worth of work out of me.