There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Failing to Realize Potential Due to Poor Business Model

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Desktop Publisher in Dallas, TX

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Copy center had a variety of options at a reasonable cost and provided custom solutions to the employees. Benefits were decent, once I got them, which took over a year of full-time work. I did have a few opportunities to use my creative skills and assist worthwhile customers. Varied experience beneficial and gave transferable skills for other work.

Cons

Poor management that failed to recognize the value of its employees' ideas and skills. Management often complained about mistakes, but rarely rewarded consistent, hard work. Business model of expecting production and design staff to wait on customers in the middle of projects, regardless of impending deadlines, caused customers that were not in the store to have their work placed on hold or miss their deadlines in preference of walk-up customers, yet they didn't want the employees to do on-the-spot work. They refused to give employees working full-time the full-time status required for benefits. Non-degreed employees were never considered for corporate work or given much opportunity for advancement. When I returned to school, they refused to work with my school schedule.

Listen to your employees and work harder to create a positive work environment. I hope this is more the case now. Allowing design and production staff to focus on design and production means that orders are completed on time and the work is quality. Have front-end people focus on walk-up customers and order management so that the workflow runs more smoothly. Encourage excellence through career advancement of employees that demonstrate dedication to the business by faithful customer care and quality work.

reviews filtered by

Had fun but it got boring...

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small, close, fun staff. If you can sell you can make some SPIFFS..Easy Easy job

Cons

Lazy management..Lazy people..Repetitive jobs and tasks....2 or 3 people do all the work to keep the store functioning..Low pay for being able to do any position in the store..No chance for promotion if you are a good worker

Bring back some of the stuff that works like coaching each other and check the security systems more to catch fraud to payroll...Reward the hard workers

2. The store is pretty...well it's alright

Current Employee - Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is located fairly close to my home and with the right managers the job becomes fun.

Cons

Some of the people that go in there to shop are not the nicest people. Or they don't bother to listen to you at all. Odd hours; Why is OfficeMax open till 9? A bit late to copy things or to buy office supplies.

i think the store manager as of now is doing an excellent job. I feel motivated when he speaks very highly of everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax