OfficeMax

www.officemax.com
  www.officemax.com
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

An OK company without much of a future.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the management from DM and above are good people who want you to succeed.

Cons

No real plan for the future, not enough profit to move forward.

1076 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

i would rather go back to pick n' save

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy to look like a rockstar if you work hard.
    selling is fairly easy

Cons

office max is becoming way too technology centric...trying to be best buy...and like everyone said micromanaging can make you insane...and lack of recognition. basically if you don't sell stuff you are worthless no matter what else you do.

tenure is very unrecognized
    high employee turnover
    glass ceiling
    joke pay
    impress thinks they are Gods

A place to start a retail experience for a year or two and exit for better opportunities

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Shoreline, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Shoreline, WA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Off season is slow and laid back.

Cons

I worked as a sales consultant at Office Max Shoreline store #580 and I can tell you it is the worst retailer I've worked for so far.
    Reasons:
    (1) Store Manager is two faced and she is very unprofessional.
    (2) Everyone talks about leaving because they feel disrespected by how low the hourly wage is even for someone with a supervisor title.
    (3) Low pay.....You work hard for such a low pay. Part-time associates do not get higher wages for holidays and back to school season ( I feel sorry for them)
    (4) The store manager only cares about the pure profit from warranties and tech services and not the reliable workers.
    (5) The store manager does not promote within the store. She hires people from outside the store which tends to be a major disrespect to the part-time associates who want to move up.
    (6) The store manager fears her district manager which I believe is a major problem why she can't manage her store well.
    (7) The store manager insults her staffs behind their back in her office. She yells at everyone including her assistant manager.
    (8) No formal training at all except for how to sell warranties and tech services
    (9) High turnover for a small store
    (10) The store manager haven't fixed the water fountain for over 1 year......Wow that's great customer service.

If you want to keep good employees do the following:
    (1) Promote within
    (2) Give more raises so that people actually want to work at your store longer. There are a lot of retailers that pay better wages and better commission. You are just being cheap. I've seen so many associates leave and yet you do nothing to do better at keeping good people.
    (3) Don't just glorify your top sellers. Tell your cashiers and part-time associates that they're doing a good job and you appreciate it because you are nothing without them.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax