OfficeMax

www.officemax.com
  www.officemax.com
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Can be a good place to work... depending on the management

Current Employee - Impress Supervisor (Key) in Hagerstown, MD
Current Employee - Impress Supervisor (Key) in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the company offers good benefits and decent training to associates. They also encourage a friendly atmosphere which most associates stick to.

Cons

no advancement opportunities
low pay
micromanagement
no adherence to policy

-the company does not stick to there own policies and in recent time they are creating a very high pressure sales environment.

Please stick to your own policies and make it clear to all associates.

1053 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

If I could give a Negative rating I would

Former Employee - Impress Associate in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Impress Associate in Brookfield, WI

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My former Impress Team, the three of us ran the department like a well oiled machine for 4 years. We had each others back. A particular set of retail colleagues made the hours fly by, I always said If we ever had the chatter on the headsets broadcasted we would be a popular radio station. We managed to be one of the top performing stores while being able to have fun working there.

Cons

The people are the only reason it was even tolerable.
    - Company is so cheap it makes your job harder and less worth it
    - They impose unecessary problems and unrealistic goals and expect you to solve them
    - They micromanage you to the point of stressing you out
    - They tell you how to do your job, even when you've been doing it without error longer than they've worked for the company
    - 4 years working fulltime hours on part-time status with no accrued/earned time off.
    - More work, no yearly raises or the slap-in-the-face after 2 years working, the 1/2 cent raise ($9.7375). I did say they were cheap right?

Impress Associate: Boost department sales while sellin MA's and attachments to floor products, Sell CTRLCenter, clean bathroom/breakroom, recover store, set planograms, cross train floor associates who know it's a crap deal, do truck, Don't you dare ask for help when you get swamped or you get an underperformance meeting.
    Supervisors don't get it better. They still have to do these things while never being in the department because they are now MOD's who never get back to their department.
    Confused already? This is why I DON'T WORK HERE ANYMORE.
    I got overlooked for Impress Sup promotions 4 times and then was called up to TRAIN the external hires who got picked over me. This company suck when considering internal employees.

work 1 yr sucked operations supervisor

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Marlborough, MA

I worked at OfficeMax (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay learning experience, great vacation

Cons

You have to track everything, your day is laid out for you and you have follow it t.

Watch your store managers like a hawk some treat there lower mangers and supervisor like there very slaves its that bad. I got let go because i wasn't tracking stuff correctly come on.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax