If I could give a Negative rating I would

Former Employee - Impress Associate in Brookfield, WI
Former Employee - Impress Associate in Brookfield, WI

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My former Impress Team, the three of us ran the department like a well oiled machine for 4 years. We had each others back. A particular set of retail colleagues made the hours fly by, I always said If we ever had the chatter on the headsets broadcasted we would be a popular radio station. We managed to be one of the top performing stores while being able to have fun working there.

Cons

The people are the only reason it was even tolerable. - Company is so cheap it makes your job harder and less worth it - They impose unecessary problems and unrealistic goals and expect you to solve them - They micromanage you to the point of stressing you out - They tell you how to do your job, even when you've been doing it without error longer than they've worked for the company - 4 years working fulltime hours on part-time status with no accrued/earned time off. - More work, no yearly raises or the slap-in-the-face after 2 years working, the 1/2 cent raise ($9.7375). I did say they were cheap right?

Advice to Management

Impress Associate: Boost department sales while sellin MA's and attachments to floor products, Sell CTRLCenter, clean bathroom/breakroom, recover store, set planograms, cross train floor associates who know it's a crap deal, do truck, Don't you dare ask for help when you get swamped or you get an underperformance meeting. Supervisors don't get it better. They still have to do these things while never being in the department because they are now MOD's who never get back to their department. Confused already? This is why I DON'T WORK HERE ANYMORE. I got overlooked for Impress Sup promotions 4 times and then was called up to TRAIN the external hires who got picked over me. This company suck when considering internal employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. enjoyed working there

Former Employee - Sales Associate-cashier in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate-cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

customers employees keeping store clean

Cons

better pay salary is too low

Advice to Management

treat your employee as you would want to be treated

Great way to start a retail career

Current Employee - Impress Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Impress Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong senior leadership that is constantly looking to improve processes and new opportunities to innovate.

Cons

Compensation is less than average for part timers and hourly supervisors. VERY limited opportunities to move up in the company on the retail side of things. Easier to be hired in from an external company than get promoted.

Advice to Management

Develop your leaders in the stores and foster a positive environment.