There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and salary are right in line with the industry norm.

Cons

The systems and processes in place at Omax are extremely outdated. This makes the operations of the store very difficult to accomplish with the given payroll. Everything from RTV's, D&D, cash office procedures, the freight process, and training lag far behind that of Office Depot and Staples. Also do not plan on unloading a truck without having to tear down each individual pallet just to get it off the trailer, which the manager on duty will have to do himself because there is nobody else to do it, while also covering the sales floor by yourself. This will not change no matter how many times you report it.

Training is an absolute joke. Even for Store Manager's there is very little training. For external hires, you need to come into a store already in good shape, or turning it around can prove extremely difficult.

Finally the company culture. There is a very negative feeling throughout the entire company. It is a culture of threats and negative re-enforcement. The next step they are taking is to start writing associates up for sales performance.

Look at the operations of the store. Your processes are out dated. You are doing things the way that your competitors did a decade ago.

1000 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

...Just OK

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

LOVE The team I work with. Great people, and a great atmosphere

Cons

All about their MaxAssurance Insurance Plans and their Control Center Computer Services. Does not matter how hard you work there, just sell sell sell.

Also, don't plan on being internally promoted-no way to promote within.

Treat your employees better. Turn the Heat on in the winter and the AC on in the summer. You all do NOT take care of your employees. (That is not the only thing, just one of the major issues). We work hard for minimum wage associates, and in return get our Store managers, and ASM's, their Annual Bonus, ranging from $25 to $10000... Ridiculous.

It has been interesting.

Current Employee - Store Associate
    Current Employee - Store Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have never worked with a better team until I worked at OfficeMax. I also like the fact that there is a lot of different areas to learn about and work in.

Cons

I think the company needs to focus on recycling and energy management more, but i think that about most companies.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!