There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Decent job, but company operations and expectations are maddening

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job itself and the day-to-day duties are on par for retail. You are given freedom to make decisions for your store without too much interference from upper management. Being a company that caters to small business, the busy times are Monday-Friday so getting weekends off is easy.

Cons

OfficeMax expects a Best Buy selling culture with a quarter of the payroll. Also, the company is doing well to adapt to 21st century business by focusing on technology, but the technology the company requires us to use is obsolete 10 times over and makes you look silly.

Give us the tools we need to do everything you ask.

1000 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

It's all about the profits, not the employees or even customers.

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Kind, helpful, patient coworkers made it worthwhile. Even the customers are great.

Cons

Untimely move to partner w/ GoDaddy webhosting services after superbowl ads that objectify women.
    Self centered, arrogant and condescending managers who only care about selling Max Assurance so their numbers look good and they can kiss up to district managers.

Delighting customers with excellent service is NOT a core value. It's about moving merchandise and customers through the line like cattle. You only get talked to if you do something wrong and never get thanked for delivering great service. I took pride in my work so I treated customers with respect and a positive, upbeat attitude. I didn't let on I was working in Office Pergatory.

Performance, communication and leadership skills training for store managers and assistant store managers. The PIF program is sad. Employees nominate one another and 1 employee is chosen monthly and given a $5 Visa gift card. Spending $60/year per store on employee recognition for 20-25 employees is weak. Performance evaluations after 6 months along with some kind of salary increase, even 25 or 50 cents an hour.

Impress supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

Decent company with ok benefits

Cons

Too much nonsense with constantly changing positions.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!