Good management but not enough raises

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Novi, MI
Current Employee - Store Associate in Novi, MI

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was lucky enough to have an awesome store manager at the store in Novi, MI, but I'm sure that's not the case in all stores.

Cons

Raises are only given out when corporate can afford them and are not individualized. Even though I was one of their top employees for over two years, I only receive a 33 cent raise the entire time I was there.

Other Reviews for OfficeMax

Low Pay no growth

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Arlington, TX

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy enough job. Anyone can do most of the jobs they have with no experience. Computer software and repair is on the up and up. Services are easy to sell.

Cons

Very very slow most of the time. In Texas they have already shut down 3 stores in 2 years with another 2 in the next year or so. Only busy time is back to school and maybe christmas. Since everyone is going paperless even that portion of the business is dropping.

Get out of Computer Sales. To much money keeping Inventory up. Most customers want to touch and feel but then buy online almost everytime. Except for back to school customers that need it now. rest of the time inventory you know is going to go to clearance pricing.

I'd rather be a slave.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Austell, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austell, GA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a 20 word minimum? Let's see... None, none, none. Nope, still can't think of anything good.

Cons

Terrible hours, mediocre pay, horrible management on store and corporate levels, constantly driving numbers in your face, impatient customers, and an uncanny ability to teach their sales associates and consultants to annoy everyone that walks through the door.

Incentives go a long way for part-timers, and full-timers if you want to keep someone working for the company. Start with something better than a 10 cent raise every year.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!