There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Easy transitional employment.

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros

Open door policy, easy job, same stuff different day.

Cons

Very poor pay, everyone is part-time (except management) no benefits. Expects you to meet weekly quotas but you don't earn much commission at all. No room for advancement or formal full-time position.

Be more considerate about your workers we work hard and we are the face of the company stop giving us nothing when we are bringing in the money and customers.

1028 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

Fairly laid back, good people, meager pay.

Current Employee - ImPress Specialist
    Current Employee - ImPress Specialist

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Non-Managers not held responsible for the store's performance as much as the key carriers are. Most of the people are awesome.

Cons

For the work you're doing, compared to other companies, they don't pay very much at all. There's a guy with the same job as me, and he's been working there 6 years, and I hired on at 5 cents less than him.

Pay your people what they are worth

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits and salary are right in line with the industry norm.

Cons

The systems and processes in place at Omax are extremely outdated. This makes the operations of the store very difficult to accomplish with the given payroll. Everything from RTV's, D&D, cash office procedures, the freight process, and training lag far behind that of Office Depot and Staples. Also do not plan on unloading a truck without having to tear down each individual pallet just to get it off the trailer, which the manager on duty will have to do himself because there is nobody else to do it, while also covering the sales floor by yourself. This will not change no matter how many times you report it.

Training is an absolute joke. Even for Store Manager's there is very little training. For external hires, you need to come into a store already in good shape, or turning it around can prove extremely difficult.

Finally the company culture. There is a very negative feeling throughout the entire company. It is a culture of threats and negative re-enforcement. The next step they are taking is to start writing associates up for sales performance.

Look at the operations of the store. Your processes are out dated. You are doing things the way that your competitors did a decade ago.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax