There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Fairly laid back, good people, meager pay.

Current Employee - ImPress Specialist
Current Employee - ImPress Specialist

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Non-Managers not held responsible for the store's performance as much as the key carriers are. Most of the people are awesome.

Cons

For the work you're doing, compared to other companies, they don't pay very much at all. There's a guy with the same job as me, and he's been working there 6 years, and I hired on at 5 cents less than him.

Pay your people what they are worth

reviews filtered by

It has been interesting.

Current Employee - Store Associate
    Current Employee - Store Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have never worked with a better team until I worked at OfficeMax. I also like the fact that there is a lot of different areas to learn about and work in.

Cons

I think the company needs to focus on recycling and energy management more, but i think that about most companies.

2. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits and salary are right in line with the industry norm.

Cons

The systems and processes in place at Omax are extremely outdated. This makes the operations of the store very difficult to accomplish with the given payroll. Everything from RTV's, D&D, cash office procedures, the freight process, and training lag far behind that of Office Depot and Staples. Also do not plan on unloading a truck without having to tear down each individual pallet just to get it off the trailer, which the manager on duty will have to do himself because there is nobody else to do it, while also covering the sales floor by yourself. This will not change no matter how many times you report it.

Training is an absolute joke. Even for Store Manager's there is very little training. For external hires, you need to come into a store already in good shape, or turning it around can prove extremely difficult.

Finally the company culture. There is a very negative feeling throughout the entire company. It is a culture of threats and negative re-enforcement. The next step they are taking is to start writing associates up for sales performance.

Look at the operations of the store. Your processes are out dated. You are doing things the way that your competitors did a decade ago.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax