There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

More bad than good.

Current Employee - Impress Supervisor
Current Employee - Impress Supervisor

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

Company has the potential to be a lot of fun and does offer opportunity for those wanting to move up. They take care of the employees who make it to management and are always looking for new products and new ways to improve.

Cons

There is no payroll to give. You are overworked and understaffed. They tell you that if you hit sales goals you can get more staff. If you are understaffed however, you will never hit your sales goals. Base pay starts at minimum wage which is pathetic. Most retailers are giving $10 an hour. Office Max caters to professionals, but only has payroll to hi

You will never hit your comp numbers if you keep cutting payroll and saddling your people with too much work. .They will not perform and in many cases cannot perform under the conditions. (Walk a mile in their shoes)

1006 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

The worst company in the world is still better than OfficeMax

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros. This company is terrible.

Cons

This work environment is a hostile work environment.
    There is no communications what so ever.
    There is no accountability what so ever.
    Innovation is discouraged.
    The culture is twisted.
    Every employee will be trying to stab you in the back.
    The average time frame for promotion is 7 years.
    If you qualify for a raise, it will be a 1% raise.
    Less than 5% of the company gets a raise.
    They pay 2/3s market wages.
    There is no training or development of skills available.
    You will never meet your senior leadership.
    The open door policy at this company is fake.
    HR will not help you or follow standard practices in disputes. They are a fake outlet to help support management.
    They are extremely strict. I was written up for poor conduct for being 20 seconds later one day in a week that I had already logged 45 hours before the final day began.
    Sales effectively controls the organization and gives money away left and right. I was actually verbatim called a "Slave" by a sales rep.
    The processes are extremely inefficient.
    You will spend more of your time documenting and logging what you do with your time than doing anything effective to make the company money.
    This company is one of the most unethical companies of all time. They lie to customers routinely.
    Everyday you spend at this company will be the worst day of your life.

Worst place to work...PERIOD!

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher
    Former Employee - Desktop Publisher

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

My fellow employees were fun to work with...

Cons

I was a Graphic Artist for the Impress (CopyMax) side. I was often called over to help retail on the Office Max side even though I had my own pile of work to deal with. The General Manager was a complete ass and pushed numbers on us constantly. He would breath over our shoulders and belittle us in front of the customers. He once asked me why my "retail sales" numbers weren't higher. I am usually in the back and wasn't hired on to sell so I told him that I was doing my best to balance both sides. He told me "My 5 year old daughter can try, and do a better job than you." Needless to say that was the last straw for me and I left shortly after that incident.

On a side note I worked there for little over a year and I saw over 30 employees coming and going... that should be enough to raise a red flag for anyone!

You dug your own grave... enjoy your merger and I hope they revamp the entire management.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!