There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

I used to enjoy the job...

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, small tight nit crew. Fun environment when you aren't running around trying to get things done. Good work experience for first time job.

Cons

I've been with OMX for 4 and a half years, and all I know is that after all this time I still don't understand why the company does half the things it does. They are so pointless and waste payroll that is already limited, resulting in serious under-staffing. I do the job 3 people would at another company. It's exhausting, and I always feel under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Pick a plan and stick with it. Make sure policies and actions make sense. Don't just throw something out there and hope that it will work. Appreciate the employees you have, and don't run them off by letting SMs and ASMs treat them like garbage.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I'd rather be a slave.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austell, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austell, GA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a 20 word minimum? Let's see... None, none, none. Nope, still can't think of anything good.

Cons

Terrible hours, mediocre pay, horrible management on store and corporate levels, constantly driving numbers in your face, impatient customers, and an uncanny ability to teach their sales associates and consultants to annoy everyone that walks through the door.

Advice to Management

Incentives go a long way for part-timers, and full-timers if you want to keep someone working for the company. Start with something better than a 10 cent raise every year.

Expectations are way too high

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company hires the right people. Marketing and promotional have gotten better in the last year.

Cons

Even though the company hires the right people, they tend to treat their employees like they are meaningless and fail to see the value of these employees. You will be exposed to corporate "fluff" and demanded to produce unrealistic goals. This company has been rated as one of the top companies you shouldn't work for.

Advice to Management

Management needs to treat their associates with respect and value their employees more.