OfficeMax

www.officemax.com
  www.officemax.com
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Good first job to gain sales experience but only for so long.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mechanicsville, VA
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mechanicsville, VA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for paid training from Microsoft with chances to get free stuff in addition to get "spiffs" or small bonuses for selling additional services/warranties. Fairly easy to advance in job titles if you have full time availability but if you can only work part time it is likely that you will stay as Sales Associate/Sales Consultant/Impress Associate. Overall a great way to gain sales experience.

Cons

There is a lot of responsibilities for the pay rate. Averages daily work force tends to be about 6 employees during a day shift but normally starts and ends with just 4 employees. This causes opportunities for employees to be overrun with customers or tasks very quickly. Pay wage could be a little higher considering the expectations, if you want employees to be sales people then you should pay them accordingly. Most Sales Associates start at minimum wage but are expected to perform highly in sales.

Micromanage less, and consider reviewing promotional signing methods. From week to week there is a lot of redundant signing that gets taken down just to be put up the next week.

1076 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

The worst company in the world is still better than OfficeMax

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros. This company is terrible.

Cons

This work environment is a hostile work environment.
    There is no communications what so ever.
    There is no accountability what so ever.
    Innovation is discouraged.
    The culture is twisted.
    Every employee will be trying to stab you in the back.
    The average time frame for promotion is 7 years.
    If you qualify for a raise, it will be a 1% raise.
    Less than 5% of the company gets a raise.
    They pay 2/3s market wages.
    There is no training or development of skills available.
    You will never meet your senior leadership.
    The open door policy at this company is fake.
    HR will not help you or follow standard practices in disputes. They are a fake outlet to help support management.
    They are extremely strict. I was written up for poor conduct for being 20 seconds later one day in a week that I had already logged 45 hours before the final day began.
    Sales effectively controls the organization and gives money away left and right. I was actually verbatim called a "Slave" by a sales rep.
    The processes are extremely inefficient.
    You will spend more of your time documenting and logging what you do with your time than doing anything effective to make the company money.
    This company is one of the most unethical companies of all time. They lie to customers routinely.
    Everyday you spend at this company will be the worst day of your life.

Worst place to work...PERIOD!

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher
    Former Employee - Desktop Publisher

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My fellow employees were fun to work with...

Cons

I was a Graphic Artist for the Impress (CopyMax) side. I was often called over to help retail on the Office Max side even though I had my own pile of work to deal with. The General Manager was a complete ass and pushed numbers on us constantly. He would breath over our shoulders and belittle us in front of the customers. He once asked me why my "retail sales" numbers weren't higher. I am usually in the back and wasn't hired on to sell so I told him that I was doing my best to balance both sides. He told me "My 5 year old daughter can try, and do a better job than you." Needless to say that was the last straw for me and I left shortly after that incident.

On a side note I worked there for little over a year and I saw over 30 employees coming and going... that should be enough to raise a red flag for anyone!

You dug your own grave... enjoy your merger and I hope they revamp the entire management.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax