OfficeMax

www.officemax.com
  www.officemax.com
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Good job while in school

Former Employee - ImPress Specialist in Schaumburg, IL
Former Employee - ImPress Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people are fun to work with. Simple work attire that is comfortable. Pretty flexible when it comes to accommodating your schedule. Paid higher than minimum wage. Gave me good experience in print production.

Cons

They are really focused on selling MaxAssurance plans, credit cards, and suggestive selling. Had to deal with some unusual or irate customers. Store tended to be understaffed.

Review promotional signing methods. From week to week there is a lot of redundant signing that gets taken down just to be put up the next week.

1076 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

The worst company in the world is still better than OfficeMax

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros. This company is terrible.

Cons

This work environment is a hostile work environment.
    There is no communications what so ever.
    There is no accountability what so ever.
    Innovation is discouraged.
    The culture is twisted.
    Every employee will be trying to stab you in the back.
    The average time frame for promotion is 7 years.
    If you qualify for a raise, it will be a 1% raise.
    Less than 5% of the company gets a raise.
    They pay 2/3s market wages.
    There is no training or development of skills available.
    You will never meet your senior leadership.
    The open door policy at this company is fake.
    HR will not help you or follow standard practices in disputes. They are a fake outlet to help support management.
    They are extremely strict. I was written up for poor conduct for being 20 seconds later one day in a week that I had already logged 45 hours before the final day began.
    Sales effectively controls the organization and gives money away left and right. I was actually verbatim called a "Slave" by a sales rep.
    The processes are extremely inefficient.
    You will spend more of your time documenting and logging what you do with your time than doing anything effective to make the company money.
    This company is one of the most unethical companies of all time. They lie to customers routinely.
    Everyday you spend at this company will be the worst day of your life.

Worst place to work...PERIOD!

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher
    Former Employee - Desktop Publisher

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My fellow employees were fun to work with...

Cons

I was a Graphic Artist for the Impress (CopyMax) side. I was often called over to help retail on the Office Max side even though I had my own pile of work to deal with. The General Manager was a complete ass and pushed numbers on us constantly. He would breath over our shoulders and belittle us in front of the customers. He once asked me why my "retail sales" numbers weren't higher. I am usually in the back and wasn't hired on to sell so I told him that I was doing my best to balance both sides. He told me "My 5 year old daughter can try, and do a better job than you." Needless to say that was the last straw for me and I left shortly after that incident.

On a side note I worked there for little over a year and I saw over 30 employees coming and going... that should be enough to raise a red flag for anyone!

You dug your own grave... enjoy your merger and I hope they revamp the entire management.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax