There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Disingenuous

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is mostly laid back. Having been a retail manager at other companies with double the pay as well as work load, I can tell you that Officemax does not really expect any real labour out of their employee's, nor do they really have the tools/infrastructure that real efficient retailers have. Things which as an employee can be great but agitating.

Cons

The biggest con is that the focus of office max is to force employee's to use the "hard sale" to push unnecessary ,over priced, and dubious at best services and warranties. Which is very ironic considering they pride them selves on being one of the "most ethical" corporate entities.

These services include the "Essentials Kit", "Max Assurance", and "Ctrl Center Computer setup/repair".

First of all, the "Essentials kit" tend to be be the "max assurance" extended warranty with nearly zero cost extras like furniture polish/usb cable/ a ream of printer paper. Absolute rip off. Price ranges from 40-200$ depending on the price of the item you are buying it for.

The "Max Assurance", is an extended warranty that you redeem over the phone. It usually only covers year two and three(the years which consumer reports say its least likey to break), and nonsense like day one surge protection. Do you ever see people rushing to replace all of their electronics after a thunder storm? Me either.

"Ctrl Center Services" is also bogus. You bring your computer in for a free "pc check up" which is a scan that 90% of the time will recommend a 200$ repair package regardless of any problems actually existing on the computer, the idea being that you can then down sell them the same services at a lower price point. They also do pc set up for the same outrageous prices which more or less involve uninstalling a couple of programs and setting your computer to automatically update windows or occasionally defrag.

Rude employees and inexperienced managers as well, but that helps keep the employee's in the dark about the ridiculous services they offer.

Advice to Management

Cut your work force in half, and adopt a more ethical strategy for growing your business like controlling your out of stocks, revamping your infrastructure and cutting your labor force in half and implement a proper discipline structure

reviews filtered by

Worst place to work...PERIOD!

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher
    Former Employee - Desktop Publisher

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My fellow employees were fun to work with...

Cons

I was a Graphic Artist for the Impress (CopyMax) side. I was often called over to help retail on the Office Max side even though I had my own pile of work to deal with. The General Manager was a complete ass and pushed numbers on us constantly. He would breath over our shoulders and belittle us in front of the customers. He once asked me why my "retail sales" numbers weren't higher. I am usually in the back and wasn't hired on to sell so I told him that I was doing my best to balance both sides. He told me "My 5 year old daughter can try, and do a better job than you." Needless to say that was the last straw for me and I left shortly after that incident.

On a side note I worked there for little over a year and I saw over 30 employees coming and going... that should be enough to raise a red flag for anyone!

Advice to Management

You dug your own grave... enjoy your merger and I hope they revamp the entire management.

Ruined Retail

Former Employee - Front End Sales/Print Center Associate in Lancaster, OH
    Former Employee - Front End Sales/Print Center Associate in Lancaster, OH

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, Sometimes got to pop bubble wrap

Cons

Constantly understaffed, Paid very low even when responsibility increased, Time-wasting activities as mandated by corporate, Management and Upper Management did not stand behind their employees (even when customers were abusive or rude), Company policies were thrown aside when a customer complained, Unconcerned management, Religious discrimination, No room for advancement or motivators to do so

Advice to Management

Stop wasting people's time with things like LP Edge or Huddles. Don't come down so hard on management for customer complaints--sometimes customers are wrong, or abusive towards employees. When a regular employee enforces a company policy, all the customer has to do is whine to a manager, and they bend over backwards and do whatever the customer wants--anything to avoid a complaint, even if it's upholding the company's own polices. Good luck on your merger with Office Depot.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax