OfficeMax
www.officemax.com Naperville, IL 5000+ Employees

Disingenuous

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe environment is mostly laid back. Having been a retail manager at other companies with double the pay as well as work load, I can tell you that Officemax does not really expect any real labour out of their employee's, nor do they really have the tools/infrastructure that real efficient retailers have. Things which as an employee can be great but agitating.

ConsThe biggest con is that the focus of office max is to force employee's to use the "hard sale" to push unnecessary ,over priced, and dubious at best services and warranties. Which is very ironic considering they pride them selves on being one of the "most ethical" corporate entities.

These services include the "Essentials Kit", "Max Assurance", and "Ctrl Center Computer setup/repair".

First of all, the "Essentials kit" tend to be be the "max assurance" extended warranty with nearly zero cost extras like furniture polish/usb cable/ a ream of printer paper. Absolute rip off. Price ranges from 40-200$ depending on the price of the item you are buying it for.

The "Max Assurance", is an extended warranty that you redeem over the phone. It usually only covers year two and three(the years which consumer reports say its least likey to break), and nonsense like day one surge protection. Do you ever see people rushing to replace all of their electronics after a thunder storm? Me either.

"Ctrl Center Services" is also bogus. You bring your computer in for a free "pc check up" which is a scan that 90% of the time will recommend a 200$ repair package regardless of any problems actually existing on the computer, the idea being that you can then down sell them the same services at a lower price point. They also do pc set up for the same outrageous prices which more or less involve uninstalling a couple of programs and setting your computer to automatically update windows or occasionally defrag.

Rude employees and inexperienced managers as well, but that helps keep the employee's in the dark about the ridiculous services they offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut your work force in half, and adopt a more ethical strategy for growing your business like controlling your out of stocks, revamping your infrastructure and cutting your labor force in half and implement a proper discipline structure

The worst company in the world is still better than OfficeMax

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee)
Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros: There are no pros. This company is terrible. Cons: This work environment is a hostile work environment. There is no communications what so ever. There is no accountability what so ever. Innovation is discouraged. The culture is twisted. Every… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Worst place to work...PERIOD!

Desktop Publisher (Former Employee)

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros: My fellow employees were fun to work with... Cons: I was a Graphic Artist for the Impress (CopyMax) side. I was often called over to help retail on the Office Max side even though… Advice to Senior Management: You dug your own grave... enjoy your merger and I… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on OfficeMax.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OfficeMax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OfficeMax CEO Roland Smith. All reviews posted anonymously by OfficeMax employees.