OfficeMax

www.officemax.com
  www.officemax.com
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

It's all about the profits, not the employees or even customers.

Former Employee - Store Associate
Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Kind, helpful, patient coworkers made it worthwhile. Even the customers are great.

Cons

Untimely move to partner w/ GoDaddy webhosting services after superbowl ads that objectify women.
Self centered, arrogant and condescending managers who only care about selling Max Assurance so their numbers look good and they can kiss up to district managers.

Delighting customers with excellent service is NOT a core value. It's about moving merchandise and customers through the line like cattle. You only get talked to if you do something wrong and never get thanked for delivering great service. I took pride in my work so I treated customers with respect and a positive, upbeat attitude. I didn't let on I was working in Office Pergatory.

Performance, communication and leadership skills training for store managers and assistant store managers. The PIF program is sad. Employees nominate one another and 1 employee is chosen monthly and given a $5 Visa gift card. Spending $60/year per store on employee recognition for 20-25 employees is weak. Performance evaluations after 6 months along with some kind of salary increase, even 25 or 50 cents an hour.

1072 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

Impress supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

Decent company with ok benefits

Cons

Too much nonsense with constantly changing positions.

Good management but not enough raises

Current Employee - Store Associate in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Novi, MI

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have an awesome store manager at the store in Novi, MI, but I'm sure that's not the case in all stores.

Cons

Raises are only given out when corporate can afford them and are not individualized. Even though I was one of their top employees for over two years, I only receive a 33 cent raise the entire time I was there.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax