OfficeMax

www.officemax.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

It's all about the profits, not the employees or even customers.

Former Employee - Store Associate
Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Kind, helpful, patient coworkers made it worthwhile. Even the customers are great.

Cons

Untimely move to partner w/ GoDaddy webhosting services after superbowl ads that objectify women.
Self centered, arrogant and condescending managers who only care about selling Max Assurance so their numbers look good and they can kiss up to district managers.

Delighting customers with excellent service is NOT a core value. It's about moving merchandise and customers through the line like cattle. You only get talked to if you do something wrong and never get thanked for delivering great service. I took pride in my work so I treated customers with respect and a positive, upbeat attitude. I didn't let on I was working in Office Pergatory.

Performance, communication and leadership skills training for store managers and assistant store managers. The PIF program is sad. Employees nominate one another and 1 employee is chosen monthly and given a $5 Visa gift card. Spending $60/year per store on employee recognition for 20-25 employees is weak. Performance evaluations after 6 months along with some kind of salary increase, even 25 or 50 cents an hour.

1142 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

Impress supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

Decent company with ok benefits

Cons

Too much nonsense with constantly changing positions.

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice time off amount given to employees

Cons

If you cant sell, the company does not appreciate you.
    Make employees to push items that the customers don't necessarily need or want.
    Pay is not much about minimum wage, but expect a lot of their employees.
    Raises not frequent or meeting cost of living.

Take care of your employees and celebrate wins instead of just focusing on meeting every matrix. Let employees take care of customers instead of making us focus on selling things to customers that they either do not need or are a good deal for our customers. Basically let us treat our customers treat customers like we would like to be treated.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax