OfficeMax

www.officemax.com
  www.officemax.com
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Worst place to work...PERIOD!

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher
Former Employee - Desktop Publisher

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My fellow employees were fun to work with...

Cons

I was a Graphic Artist for the Impress (CopyMax) side. I was often called over to help retail on the Office Max side even though I had my own pile of work to deal with. The General Manager was a complete ass and pushed numbers on us constantly. He would breath over our shoulders and belittle us in front of the customers. He once asked me why my "retail sales" numbers weren't higher. I am usually in the back and wasn't hired on to sell so I told him that I was doing my best to balance both sides. He told me "My 5 year old daughter can try, and do a better job than you." Needless to say that was the last straw for me and I left shortly after that incident.

On a side note I worked there for little over a year and I saw over 30 employees coming and going... that should be enough to raise a red flag for anyone!

You dug your own grave... enjoy your merger and I hope they revamp the entire management.

1071 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

Ruined Retail

Former Employee - Front End Sales/Print Center Associate in Lancaster, OH
    Former Employee - Front End Sales/Print Center Associate in Lancaster, OH

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, Sometimes got to pop bubble wrap

Cons

Constantly understaffed, Paid very low even when responsibility increased, Time-wasting activities as mandated by corporate, Management and Upper Management did not stand behind their employees (even when customers were abusive or rude), Company policies were thrown aside when a customer complained, Unconcerned management, Religious discrimination, No room for advancement or motivators to do so

Stop wasting people's time with things like LP Edge or Huddles. Don't come down so hard on management for customer complaints--sometimes customers are wrong, or abusive towards employees. When a regular employee enforces a company policy, all the customer has to do is whine to a manager, and they bend over backwards and do whatever the customer wants--anything to avoid a complaint, even if it's upholding the company's own polices. Good luck on your merger with Office Depot.

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice time off amount given to employees

Cons

If you cant sell, the company does not appreciate you.
    Make employees to push items that the customers don't necessarily need or want.
    Pay is not much about minimum wage, but expect a lot of their employees.
    Raises not frequent or meeting cost of living.

Take care of your employees and celebrate wins instead of just focusing on meeting every matrix. Let employees take care of customers instead of making us focus on selling things to customers that they either do not need or are a good deal for our customers. Basically let us treat our customers treat customers like we would like to be treated.

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax