OfficeMax

www.officemax.com
  www.officemax.com
There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

One of the most UNethical companies to work for

Current Employee - Impress Associate
Current Employee - Impress Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

hmmm, coworkers are genuinely hardworking, good people with actual souls.

Cons

The management expects you to do an insane amount of work while juggling all your basic tasks. Recently, we've been threatened with getting fired if TWO employees working Impress on a weekend didn't clean and reorganize the entire department. Not only do we have to deal with the high amount of walk-ins that we get, we have to finish all the jobs in the book, call customers with completed orders, and constantly answer the phone. Having only two people with the traffic that we have is already completely unethical (no lunches, no breaks, massive amount of stress), but now you're going to make us clean and reorganize the entire department? At $8 an hour??
Impress associates are treated the most poorly, trust me, I've worked on both sides. As a cashier/associate your tasks are very achievable and simple, but in impress they are the opposite. some people in our department make less than cashiers, for specialized print work.
There's a real disconnect between management and employees. Our new manager has drastically cut labor in order to get his yearly bonus (great ethical goal OfficeMax, that's exactly where your profits should go, to the manager, not the hardworking employees) and WE suffer the consequences. He sits in the office all day while we slave away.
If there's one thing that could come out of this, it would be the ability to reach more people. At this point, all I can hope for is that customers will realize how unethical officemax truly is, and spend their money elsewhere.

There's nothing to be said, because this company obviously cares about nothing more than profit.

1071 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

Another retailer trying to do too much

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with and the customers made it worth while most of the time.

Cons

Too many pots on the stove, OfficeMax wanted to offer everything but nothing 100%, from less then perfect Control Center to cheap, horrible canvas wraps. Too many focuses and too much money spent on things other than really increasing business.

Too many managers hired and promoted before their time.

Cheesy, generic, and boring interview by untrained managers who tote company slogan word for word.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Selma, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Selma, TX

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy generic interview process that takes too long

Cons

Low salary,
    slow, boring, monotonous interviews.
    Management untrained on how to give a good interview.

TRAIN