OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

One of the most UNethical companies to work for

Impress Associate (Current Employee)

Proshmmm, coworkers are genuinely hardworking, good people with actual souls.

ConsThe management expects you to do an insane amount of work while juggling all your basic tasks. Recently, we've been threatened with getting fired if TWO employees working Impress on a weekend didn't clean and reorganize the entire department. Not only do we have to deal with the high amount of walk-ins that we get, we have to finish all the jobs in the book, call customers with completed orders, and constantly answer the phone. Having only two people with the traffic that we have is already completely unethical (no lunches, no breaks, massive amount of stress), but now you're going to make us clean and reorganize the entire department? At $8 an hour??
Impress associates are treated the most poorly, trust me, I've worked on both sides. As a cashier/associate your tasks are very achievable and simple, but in impress they are the opposite. some people in our department make less than cashiers, for specialized print work.
There's a real disconnect between management and employees. Our new manager has drastically cut labor in order to get his yearly bonus (great ethical goal OfficeMax, that's exactly where your profits should go, to the manager, not the hardworking employees) and WE suffer the consequences. He sits in the office all day while we slave away.
If there's one thing that could come out of this, it would be the ability to reach more people. At this point, all I can hope for is that customers will realize how unethical officemax truly is, and spend their money elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's nothing to be said, because this company obviously cares about nothing more than profit.

Political Nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros: I can't think of any Cons: Unbelievable work hours. This is the place for you if you want no work/life… More

Another retailer trying to do too much

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The people I worked with and the customers made it… Cons: Too many pots on the stove, OfficeMax wanted to offer everything but nothing 100%, from less then perfect Control Center… Advice to Senior Management: Too many managers hired and promoted before their time. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on OfficeMax.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!