There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

The best retail experience that I've had

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity for advancement if you demonstrate the appropriate skills. Turnover is low and the relatively small staff makes for great team-building. The Impress department at my store is always busy which helps reduce the monotony of working retail. Our district is very tight-knit and all the stores help each other with training and staffing (especially during Back-to-School). Our DM is always very supportive. Strong focus on educating staff about *why* we do things and how it's good for business

Cons

It's retail. Some days are more exhausting than others. I work in a fairly affluent area and a high percentage of our customer base looks down on people who don't make $100k/yr as "servants". BTS can be incredibly stressful. Never enough payroll to staff the store completely.

If you're going to focus on something(s), make it only 1-3 things. Don't come out with a new "focus" every day. More accountability for PowerMax (I am so tired of collapsed pallets and ruined merch), INVEST IN PAYROLL: more staff = higher customer engagement = higher customer satisfaction = repeat business = more money.

1000 Other Employee Reviews for OfficeMax (View Most Recent)

Store Associate

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are great people, work is never really dull and boring, opportunities to earn extra money through spiffs.

Cons

If you work hours where costumers aren't coming in as frequently than your opportunity to earn extra money diminishes. Officemax is not the most "current" company as far as advertising and technology.

Look for more abstract ways to advertise. Many costumers dont even know that office max and office depot are two completely different stores.

Its okay working for this company ...

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

decent hours and pay ... during back to school

Cons

very unorganized however there is lots of potential

act like a manager, dont just take the name

There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!