There are newer employer reviews for OfficeMax

Challenging at times, but rewarding.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Machesney Park, IL
Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Machesney Park, IL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time at OfficeMax was positive for the most part. I was harassed by a few managers but a call to HR cleared that up right away. The store became my family. The job was difficult at times, but management always provided me with training and support.

Cons

Hours suck, no room to move up in the company. The management at my store had been there for many years and weren't leaving; it was discouraging to try to do better.

Advice to Management

Allow more room to grow.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. the upper management thinks only for themselves when coming down to the wire no core values as they claim

Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Carlstadt, NJ
    Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Carlstadt, NJ

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

on a local level the associates are good people even some Directors.

Cons

upper management don't have a clue on how to run a business.

Advice to Management

stop hiding behind other people and step up to the plate and lead follow or get out of the way and have someone who really wants to.

Underpaid / No health benefits / District Manager doesn't care

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule for part-timers. Store I work in is awesome. Managers give lots of positive reinforcement for excellent customer service not just selling protection plans. Everyone backs everyone else up and people step up to help.

Cons

The kickback employees get for selling MAs (max assurance/protection plans) is a slap in the face. I sold 22 in one week ($240 worth) and got $12 kick back. I busted my hump during back to school. I was recognized with a Starbucks giftcard by my manager which was great. The compensation system really needs a makeover.

The point of sale registers are archaic and slow down transactions. Return policy should be 60 not 30 days. People are busy and can't always make it back in time to return something.

Advice to Management

The new MA pricing structure is difficult to sell. People aren't going to buy a $99 or 149 protection plan on a $279 laptop or a $19.99 on a $99 calculator or a 29.99 on a $100 calculator.

Give store managers larger discretionary employee recognition budgets for employees who deliver awesome customer service and sell MAs.

Kickback on MAs needs to be higher otherwise it is not incentivizing employees and they won't try. I try because I care about my store and respect my managers because they work so hard and really do care about delivering awesome service and customers coming back because they were treated fairly.

Employees who work in Impress need to make more money than employees who are Store Associates/Cashiers.

Most stores are understaffed. If the salary was $1-2 more an hour and there were health benefits, people would stay longer.

Give store managers the tools they need to motivate and engage staff. I believe in my store and have great respect for my Store Manager and Asst Store Manager (because they care and pitch in) but I don't believe Office Max as a corporation truly cares about employees who have face to face interactions with the customers. That's where the rubber meets the road. It's the last impression that makes a lasting impression.

I am applying elsewhere because of the low pay and no salary step increases are in my future -- or health benefits.