Good place to learn

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ogilvy Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive senior staff, not crazy clients, peer to peer mentoring

Cons

Long hours, long road to promotion, lower salary

Advice to Management

None

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Dysfunctional company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Ogilvy Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. I met and worked with some really talented and smart people. Some groups were very collaborative and I made many friends because of the tight team. First Monday of the month is bagel day and that's always good. Impromptu office parties for Halloween or no reason at all were really fun. The movie tickets and Starbucks cards were a nice way to recognize people. If you're lucky to be chosen, the Employee of the Month was a $100. gift card, that was really nice. You can have some great opportunities to work with other offices in North America and internationally. That was a great learning experience.

Cons

Too much favoritism. No accountability at any level from Corporate or OPR leaders. Senior Management is more concerned and impressed with themselves and one-upmanship rather then mentoring or those doing the work. They want creativity but stifle it. I've seen creative and proposal teams not working with each other. Our Group Head would rather do proposals the "old" way then thinking and acting outside the box. Expect to work long hours for little pay or recognition. Due to poor management many good people leave after a few years but like myself, we have the brand name on our resume. The compensation is totally ridiculous because it changes all the time. They change when we get raises, sometimes they are months late and there is no retro, it's not transparent, positive nor will the company show you a pay scale.

Advice to Management

The senior leadership in corporate and the offices needs to be changed. They also need to teach the leadership and managers what is and isn't acceptable. I've heard some really inappropriate remarks from a Managing Director and above and they need to correct this behavior. It's unprofessional.

Smart people but negative environment with no strategy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ogilvy Public Relations full-time

Pros

Smart people and many opportunities to learn new things if you are interested.

Cons

no strategy, public shaming, poor management skills, lack of training, little room for intellectual or creative diversity, culture values peers competing with one another, layoffs, no flexibility in schedule, very long hours, favoritism, too much politics This is a company that seems to constantly promote negative behavior. They are unnecessarily hard on their staff and have created an environment where you do not feel like there is any job security. If you do not have really thick skin, I would not suggest applying.

Advice to Management

stop getting caught up in politics and treat your employees with respect