Ohio Department of Health

www.odh.ohio.gov
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Ohio Department of Health

If you love to be micromanaged by people that don't understand your job, this is the place to be!

Current Employee - Immunization Program Manager in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Immunization Program Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio Department of Health

Pros

I feel passionate about the work that I do (initiating, expanding, developing, and maintaining programs that are designed to prevent disease). Despite the bureaucracy and many hurdles that I have faced, I feel that I have accomplished a lot during my time here. Although executive staff tends to micromanage me, my direct supervisor has been supportive.

Cons

The current leadership does not seem to value staff education and experience. Therefore, our insights and ideas tend to be discounted. We are micromanaged to the point of having executive staff review and rewrite our memos. I manage a $100 million program and I am no longer allowed to sign even a simple memo myself without approval from executive staff - so it takes a minimum of a month to get anything sent out. It is embarassing to have to answer questions from our partners about why it takes so long to get simple tasks accomplished and I have grown weary of the hours of wasted time.

Advice to Management

Consider that there are many highly educated, highly experienced, and highly motivated staff members who feel passionate about their jobs. Don't discount their insights and ideas - and please stop micromanaging us.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good company to work for

I worked at Ohio Department of Health full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment, tuition re-reimbursement availability

Cons

No work from home opportunity

2. Senior management and leadership do not foster a culture supportive of the mission or the dedicated staff working there.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio Department of Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard working, dedicated program level staff.

Cons

Lack of leadership. Lack of support for public health mission.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way and let your programs grow.