There are newer employer reviews for Ohio Department of Health

I think generally satisfaction with the job varies dramatically between bureaus, so my experience may be worse than some

Current Employee - Researcher in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Researcher in Columbus, OH

Pros

Salary, time off, and benefits are generally very good Staff can be very passionate about their work Schedules are generally flexible Union protection (for now) is a plus

Cons

Experience the typical frustrations with bureaucracy Nearly impossible to move up Our bureau (my unit, particularly) was routinely over worked and understaffed We have been under a wage freeze for almost four years Expectations are not always clearly communicated Some favoritism Extremely low morale Many staff are given more work and are more competent than many managers

Advice to Management

Do not keep staff in the dark about decisions and changes Change HR standards to allow more flexibility on behalf of the hiring manager

Other Employee Reviews for Ohio Department of Health

1. Reviewed

Current Employee - Health Planning Administrator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Health Planning Administrator in Columbus, OH

Pros

Provides good salary and benefits.

Cons

Very political environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide good leadership.

2. If you love to be micromanaged by people that don't understand your job, this is the place to be!

Current Employee - Immunization Program Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Immunization Program Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

I feel passionate about the work that I do (initiating, expanding, developing, and maintaining programs that are designed to prevent disease). Despite the bureaucracy and many hurdles that I have faced, I feel that I have accomplished a lot during my time here. Although executive staff tends to micromanage me, my direct supervisor has been supportive.

Cons

The current leadership does not seem to value staff education and experience. Therefore, our insights and ideas tend to be discounted. We are micromanaged to the point of having executive staff review and rewrite our memos. I manage a $100 million program and I am no longer allowed to sign even a simple memo myself without approval from executive staff - so it takes a minimum of a month to get anything sent out. It is embarassing to have to answer questions from our partners about why it takes so long to get simple tasks accomplished and I have grown weary of the hours of wasted time.

Advice to Management

Consider that there are many highly educated, highly experienced, and highly motivated staff members who feel passionate about their jobs. Don't discount their insights and ideas - and please stop micromanaging us.