Ohio State University
www.osu.edu Columbus, OH 5000+ Employees

Overworked, underpaid, no support from management/HR

ProsThe Ohio State University has great benefits, good insurance, adoption assistance, and free tuition. Other perks include discount movie tickets, discounted Kings Island passes, etc.

ConsThere is no support from management or HR. The "corporate culture" sucks and everyone kowtows to the Doctors, PhDs, and Professors. Often times I have observed Doctors speaking disrespectfully about nurses and other hospital staff on a frequent basis. I have even caught my boss making false disrespectful remarks about me behind (he thought it was behind my back) my back. However, just earlier that day he told me I was doing a great job. My experience with many of the doctors, PhDs, and professors (especially the younger ones) is that they care more about their promotion and tenure (P&T) than they do their staff or sometimes their projects. I spent a lot of time building long-term relationships with sponsors and my boss did not value the relationship. Instead he was disrespectful of the relationships and did not nurture them and now we have lost their sponsorship. I have witnessed researchers breaking federal regulations and when they are called on it by their research staff, they immediately threatened the persons job. When the staff member complained to HR and the division head, they protected the doctor without hearing any facts or both sides of the conflict. Over the last year I have observed them relentlessly trying to fire the staff member but they keep thwarting their bosses attempt. Unfortunately, these experiences and especially this person (the doctor) have created a hostile work environment. I have friend at OSU who have had similar experiences as the ones mentioned above.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit protecting your Doctors. Just because they have an MD or PhD after their name does not make them perfect, infallible or places them beyond lying to protect themselves when they have blatantly broken federal regulations and ethical principles.

Food Service in The Ohio Union

Chef, Sous Chef, Food Prep (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio State University part-time for less than a year

Pros: Work was dynamic, preparing a variety of meals each day. Cons: Few hours available, Occasionally felt inprepared to prepare the food. Advice to Senior Management: Better job training for employees More

Postdock

Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio State University full-time for more than a year

Pros: Few good labs to work at Cons: Low pay, often no perspective No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Ohio State University.

Worked for Ohio State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ohio State University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ohio State University CEO Joseph A. Alutto. All reviews posted anonymously by Ohio State University employees.