Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Beneath me.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Oklahoma City, OK
Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Pros

I like the once a month check., The pay is better than the private side of Corrections. The benefit package is Ok and you can retire if you stay in uniform after 20. If you stay in uniform for 5 years you can transfer to a desk job and keep your 20 retirement.

Cons

There are alot bullcrap people that make decisions that effect you with zero regard to you. Someone always has to be receiving punishment for something. Everyone is on eggshells and nobody trust the others.

Make it more honorable, promote from within the prison leave probation and parole out of the prisons.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Oklahoma Department of Corrections (View Most Recent)

Corrections

Current Employee - Correctional Security Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Correctional Security Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Pros

The work is steady, we will always need correctional officers, the work is not very hard, free uniforms, three weeks paid vacation per year, all holidays paid, free insurance from day 1.

Cons

It is negative work, the inmates are negative there is not respect for officers. The pay is slow, there are very few pay raises you could go 5 years with no change in salary where is the motivation? Upper management is stuck up and thinks lowly of CO's

Management needs to respect employees all of them. Open communication lines let us know of the objectives, share information so we all can make informed decisions, and provide feedback.

The ups and downs of Oklahoma DOC

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in McAlester, OK
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in McAlester, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Pros

The benefits that are given free of charge are absolutly awesome. Depending on the size of your family, you are given an allotted amount of money to use to purchase benefits. And if you do not use it all, then you recieve what is left over on your paycheck. In my situation, my family was allotted over $1400 a month for insurance. We have an insurance package that includes medical, vision, dental, and life insurance that comes to $1300 a month. So I get free insurance plus, an extra $100 a month on my check. They also supply life insurance free as well with the option of purchasing more. And in the worse case senerio that something does go bad at work, they help support your family in monetary ways. Even on the worst days at work, the benefits make it worthwhile.

Cons

Working at a maximum security prison is a challenge. Besides the constant worry of being able to get home safely to my family, the mental strain is awful. It may not be the most physically demanding job I've had, but mentally and emotionally, it takes the cake! I just do my best and hope that when the offenders leave prison, I never see them in again. But I do know that that isn't what's most likely going to happen. So it is sad working there in a way. Always hoping for the best and that we can help them change the direction of their life, but knowing that it probably won't in most cases.

Communication is the key!

There are newer employer reviews for Oklahoma Department of Corrections