Oklahoma Department of Corrections
www.doc.state.ok.us Oklahoma City, OK 1000 to 5000 Employees

The ups and downs of Oklahoma DOC

Correctional Officer (Current Employee)
McAlester, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

ProsThe benefits that are given free of charge are absolutly awesome. Depending on the size of your family, you are given an allotted amount of money to use to purchase benefits. And if you do not use it all, then you recieve what is left over on your paycheck. In my situation, my family was allotted over $1400 a month for insurance. We have an insurance package that includes medical, vision, dental, and life insurance that comes to $1300 a month. So I get free insurance plus, an extra $100 a month on my check. They also supply life insurance free as well with the option of purchasing more. And in the worse case senerio that something does go bad at work, they help support your family in monetary ways. Even on the worst days at work, the benefits make it worthwhile.

ConsWorking at a maximum security prison is a challenge. Besides the constant worry of being able to get home safely to my family, the mental strain is awful. It may not be the most physically demanding job I've had, but mentally and emotionally, it takes the cake! I just do my best and hope that when the offenders leave prison, I never see them in again. But I do know that that isn't what's most likely going to happen. So it is sad working there in a way. Always hoping for the best and that we can help them change the direction of their life, but knowing that it probably won't in most cases.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is the key!

It sucks. No pay raise in seven years. Make less than $40,000/yr after 10+ years.

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time

Pros: Somewhat flexible work schedule...good benefits. Cons: Poor management, upper management....did I mention the pay is absolutely… Advice to Senior Management: show me the money!! No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Corrections Officer

Corrections Officer (Current Employee)
Taft, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: I would say that you get benefits that are pretty good.Such as health insurance,life insurance,and you also get a twenty year retirement if you are… Cons: The downside for me working as a Corrections Officer is the shift work.I've worked different shifts for the last elevan years.I also feel that we… Advice to Senior Management: I think the Upper Management needs to develop better ways to recruit good hardworking… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Oklahoma Department of Corrections.

Worked for Oklahoma Department of Corrections? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oklahoma Department of Corrections reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Oklahoma Department of Corrections employees.