Oklahoma Department of Corrections

The ups and downs of Oklahoma DOC

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in McAlester, OK
Current Employee - Correctional Officer in McAlester, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Pros

The benefits that are given free of charge are absolutly awesome. Depending on the size of your family, you are given an allotted amount of money to use to purchase benefits. And if you do not use it all, then you recieve what is left over on your paycheck. In my situation, my family was allotted over $1400 a month for insurance. We have an insurance package that includes medical, vision, dental, and life insurance that comes to $1300 a month. So I get free insurance plus, an extra $100 a month on my check. They also supply life insurance free as well with the option of purchasing more. And in the worse case senerio that something does go bad at work, they help support your family in monetary ways. Even on the worst days at work, the benefits make it worthwhile.

Cons

Working at a maximum security prison is a challenge. Besides the constant worry of being able to get home safely to my family, the mental strain is awful. It may not be the most physically demanding job I've had, but mentally and emotionally, it takes the cake! I just do my best and hope that when the offenders leave prison, I never see them in again. But I do know that that isn't what's most likely going to happen. So it is sad working there in a way. Always hoping for the best and that we can help them change the direction of their life, but knowing that it probably won't in most cases.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It sucks. No pay raise in seven years. Make less than $40,000/yr after 10+ years.

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule...good benefits.

Cons

Poor management, upper management....did I mention the pay is absolutely terrible?

Advice to Management

show me the money!!

2. Human Resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Oklahoma Department of Corrections (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of experience in a short amount of time. Many of the people there are really good to work with. The benefits wee great. Great insurance for the whole family paid by the organization. Good vacation time too.

Cons

The politics of the organization are really bad. Pay is low. Many people employees just do what they can to get by. Some are just plain lazy. The correctional officers are the back-bone of the organization, but do not get the pay or credit they deserve.

Advice to Management

Consider restructuring some of the administrative departments. There are way to many people not doing their job, so keep the ones that are, and get rid of the rest. That will help the budget, and that money can be put towards retaining correctional officers.