Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Unclaimed Profile

Long hours, low pay

Current Employee - Correctional Security Officer in Lexington, OK
Current Employee - Correctional Security Officer in Lexington, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

some what good benefits, until they take them away

Cons

working for doc is not worth it. you have no family time, they expect you to put your family aside while working for the department.

Advice to Management

get new ones

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Corrections Officer

Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Taft, OK
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Taft, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I would say that you get benefits that are pretty good.Such as health insurance,life insurance,and you also get a twenty year retirement if you are a Corrections Officer.This twenty year retirement is only for CO's, and other jobs that falls as hazardous duty.You do get to work with some really good officers, and staff.

Cons

The downside for me working as a Corrections Officer is the shift work.I've worked different shifts for the last elevan years.I also feel that we are underpaid compared to other Department of Corrections around the country.I get frustrated sometimes becuse I have a Bachelors Degree,and I feel that I'm underpaid.We've also lost officers due to furloughs, and budget problems..

Advice to Management

I think the Upper Management needs to develop better ways to recruit good hardworking people.I think that they need to have better plans to increase morale around the facilities.

Beneath me.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Oklahoma Department of Corrections

Pros

I like the once a month check., The pay is better than the private side of Corrections. The benefit package is Ok and you can retire if you stay in uniform after 20. If you stay in uniform for 5 years you can transfer to a desk job and keep your 20 retirement.

Cons

There are alot bullcrap people that make decisions that effect you with zero regard to you. Someone always has to be receiving punishment for something. Everyone is on eggshells and nobody trust the others.

Advice to Management

Make it more honorable, promote from within the prison leave probation and parole out of the prisons.