The Easiest Retail Experience I've Had

Current Employee - Sales Associate Old Navy in Bridgewater, NJ
Current Employee - Sales Associate Old Navy in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-My management team is very nice, they know the ins and outs of their job and are great teachers/leaders -Hours -Discount at GAP (50%) -Breaks -You can wear pretty much anything you want to work, but look presentable

Cons

-Trying to get customers to apply for Old Navy Cards. Let's be real, no one wants to apply for a credit card in this terrible economy. Sometimes the managers make up incentives off the top of their heads just to get customers to apply, which I think is wrong. (i.e. we'll have a coupon that has been sent out by e-mail/mail that ANYONE can easily get, but the managers try to get us to get people to apply for cards by using these discounts they could have easily attained without applying for the card) -Trying to complete your task on time, while trying to assist customers at the same time. Then the managers get mad at you when our customer ratings are down. It's not realistic. -The clearance section gets slammed, it needs to be better organized! -One week you'll work like 2 days a week, the next week you'e on schedule to work everyday. -Trying to find coverage for a shift. -Getting paid every two weeks. For a college students, this sucks.

Advice to Management

No one wants to apply for an Old Navy Card, sorry!

Other Employee Reviews for Old Navy

1. Service and Training Manager for Old Navy

Current Employee - Service and Training Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Service and Training Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Old Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love to community envolvement. Able to connect with each associate. Sound policies in place.

Cons

Company sometimes requires us to do crazy/humiliating tasks ie wearing capes, nerd glasses, bizarre hats, etc/

Advice to Management

Keep store management in the loop with job openings, promotions and new positions.

2. Not a bad company

Current Employee - Old Navy Sales Associate in Wareham, MA
    Current Employee - Old Navy Sales Associate in Wareham, MA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, well run, decently priced for material used, very friendly and open setting. Very customer focused. Not trying to be Gap's little brother and assumes it's own role in the retail business.

Cons

Little room for creativity, primary focuses switch too often, bad music played in stores, warehouses have poor logistical skills.

Advice to Management

Be less "by the book" and allow for employees to be in more control of their own stores. Understand that not every store is the same, nor attracts the same demographic.